Forums -> Multiple monitors -> cloning to 3 monitors (with 2 monitors behind a vga splitter)
kaushal   2006-05-29 22:07
Hi

I've got a nVidia Geforce 5200 card with 2 outputs. One display output goes to a standard monitor, and the other output goes to a vga splitter, which in turn distributes it to 2 other monitors.

The problem is, whatever device is connected to the card's secondary port does not show an output. But if I simply connect 2 monitors directly to the card, the outputs work fine.

I know that in Linux there is a way to override the "ConnectedMonitor" option. Is there a similar workaround for Windows?

Thanks.

Kaushal
Tommy B   2006-05-30 02:41
I thought exactly the same thing with my 5600; use a splitter to give myself 3-4 displays. Sadly, if you look through NVIDIAs website carefully enough, it is made very clear, that you can connect only 2 displays.
ECarlson   2006-05-30 13:31
I've never tried cloning to more than 2 monitors myself, but I suspect you need a device that pretends to be a monitor so the video card turns on the second output. Maybe some sort of active video distribution amplifier/splitter would work, or maybe you need a 3-way amp/splitter on the primary output to run all 3 monitors.

Hopefully someone who has actually used output splitters will have a more definitive answer.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Mike   2006-09-04 15:22
I use an ATEN video splitter amp to share my secondary video out off my dell laptop (Raedon9700)to 4 mirrored monitors all the time. Same setup w/ my previous Dell laptop (GeOforce) It works in clone or dual screen mode. A splitter "Y" cable could work w/ the right video card and same length of RGB cable but the $40 amp is the way to go.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> cloning to 3 monitors (with 2 monitors behind a vga splitter)