Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Monitor Display on geforce 5200
Damian   2006-05-31 13:14
I have a Geforce 5200 Agp 128mb card and it is listed as having full nview capability, except i cant get it to work it has a vga+dvi+tv out i have two 17 inch viewsonic lcd monitors same model hooked up into it the one on the vga spot an the other on the dvi with an adapter. but i can only get clone mode no matter what settings I chose. I have tried checking the extend desktop button in windows and i have set the nvidia software to dualview but the card still displays only a clone image.When i push the idetifiy button it show a 1 on both screens. When I hit Detect monitors it comes up as having these names ViewsonicVA721 series (1 of 2) and the second monitors says Viewsonic VA721 Series (2 of 2). I belive that it thinks that I have 4 monitors connected to it. I tried installing Ultramon and that didn't help it said the same thing.I updated my motherboards bios and the graphic cards drivers and the monitors drivers so if any body can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you
David DeRolph   2006-06-02 10:24
The promotional information given with new video cards tends to be misleading when they talk about dual monitor support, in my opinion. I suspect that your video card will not provide full dual monitor support, meaning two separate desktops. To do that, you either have to replace your FX5200 with a card that truly does provide full dual monitor support, or install a second card in a PCI slot, which is what I did when I added a second monitor.

My primary card is AGP, nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200; the secondary card: PCI, nVidia GeForce2 MX400.
ECarlson   2006-06-02 16:04
The GeForce FX5200 should support 2 independent outputs at once (though not 3, of course). I don't know what is causing yours to not work properly.

You might want to try uninstalling the drivers, and using an NVidia driver removal tool to get rid of the remaining bits, and make sure you reboot a few times for good measure (don't let it install any drivers), then reinstall some known-good drivers (which might not be the latest).

Some of the 5200 cards don't have analog pins on the DVI ports, so the DVI ports only work with monitors that have DVI inputs, but it looks like you are getting an analog signal from your DVI port, since you said clone mode was working.

I know my old GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP card supports dual independent outputs - it was my first dual-monitor card, which I bought for exactly that purpose. My card works fine with a DVI-VGA adapter on the DVI port.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Ryan   2006-07-01 01:31
Damian did you figure it out?
i got the same problem with two Dell tft's.
Its something to do with the device id's. Have you spoken to Nvidia??

cheers
modtang   2006-08-20 08:44
I'm having a similar problem with a friend's PC. It's a Dell 4550. I put a Gigabyte 5200 in over the weekend, connected 2x identical Dell monitors and it's not finding the second one. Both monitors are fully functional and work on their own. I have one hooked up to the VGA port and the other to the DVI with an adapter.

I spent hours trying everything I could think of but I was not able to get the card to detect the second monitor. I'm thinking of uninstalling all the nVIDIA drivers and trying the old ones that came on the disc.

If anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.
n3twork   2006-08-23 15:37
I use a geforce fx 5200 pci version and it has dual vga and works fine. You have to go into your properties and in the stupid tab that nvidia adds (I hate that tab you have no idea) you need to set it to dualview it will say it's gonna reboot say ok let it reboot go back in tab set it so that it's an extended desktop not a clone it will reboot again and then you should be good. All in all gfroce cards just need you to reboot a whole lot more then you really should have too. But it should work. Remember go in nvidia tab set it to dualview it will ask to reboot say yes go back in tab set it to extended desktop it will ask to reboot say yes. Then when you get in windows check to see if you see two monitors when you rigth click on your dekstop and select properties. They should both be enabled if not just enable the one that isn't.
[fps] moneymaker   2006-09-04 01:19
you guys all have the same problem i had... and here is y it didn't work...

the geforce fx 5200 with 128mb doesn't support dual monitoring if u use 2 analog ports... so that adapter idea doesn't work eiter!!

[fps] moneymaker
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Monitor Display on geforce 5200