Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop and 2 Extra LCD Monitors?
Sandra   2006-05-31 13:38
I purchased the Inspiron E1705 because one of the Dell Support people told me that it was the only Dell laptop that allowed you to connect two extra monitors two it.

I explained to the rep that the E1705 had Express slots instead of PCMCIA slots, which prevcented me from using the VTBook PCMCIA dual head video card. The rep told me not to worry and even confirmed with a co-worker that the E1705 was able to take two extra LCD's, for a 3-display (2 LCD + laptop's LCD) configuration.

When I received the laptop, guess what? You could only connect one extra LCD - not 2!

Now I'm stuck because I alrady transferrred all of my programs, email settings, etc., so I can't return it.

I looked at the Matrox DualHead2Go, which splits one VGA connection into two, allowing you to connect two LCD's to one VGA slot, but it is not compatible with the Inspiron E1705. So I'm pretty much out of options.

Does anyone know any way to connect two extra LCD's to my E1705? Dell surely doesn't and if they do, they don't want to tell me.

I am not aware of any external dual head video cards that can be connected to an express slot.

How about an adapter that turns my express slot into a PCMCIA slot, which will allow me to use the VTBook?

Your suggestions are surely appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandra
uge   2006-06-01 16:59
I have the same laptop and the same problem. I went to some Express Card website which said someday the adapter will be available. I'm pissed, I figure if I bought the latest laptop my options would be best. The only thing that might work is a large LCD with a very high resolution as an attached monitor. Good Luck.

uge
Matt   2006-06-13 04:08
If you put the laptop into a docking station, you will have a DVI & VGA port. Connect the DVI to one monitor and VGA to the other, and you'll have your 2 external displays.
Sandra   2006-06-14 01:56
What difference does it make if I connect the laptop to a docking station? The laptop already has a VGA port and a DVI port on the back. When you connect one external display to each of these ports, you cannot get both to work simultaneously via the display setting or via ATI's advanced display settings.

So I don't know how the docking station will get around this problem.

Any ideas?
Craig   2006-06-22 08:35
Might it be the case that dual displays are available with the Nvidia graphics card offerred with E1705? If so, you might be able to get Dell to upgrade your system.
The Saj   2006-07-30 13:43
Yup...just ran into the same problem. I've always thought the world's evil went sorta like this:

Lawyers
Politicians
Insurance
Salesmen
Terrorists

With the worst being at the top of the list.
DeComposer   2006-09-10 07:11
The E1705/I9400 is not compatible with a true docking station.

The docking station port for the higher-end notebooks that use the same chassis--the Precision WOrkstation M90 and the XPS M1710--is located on the bottom of the chassis, near the back. This region is covered by the chassis plastic (and may not have a port underneath at all) on the E1705/I9400.

This is a notable departure from previous designs of Dell notebooks--and not a welcome one.
Dan   2006-09-20 17:53
Try using the omega drivers. I had to do this to run 2 external monitors on my thinkpad T43.
Phil   2006-09-21 01:22
There is a USB to VGA solution from Sitecom:
Sitecom USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter
It's pretty slow compared to a "normal" connector but better than nothing...
Aaron   2006-09-22 07:41
I ran into this with my Inspiron 6000 as well -- the Inspiron's aren't built for docking stations, while the Latitudes are.

I'm now considering buying a Latitude 620 with the D/Dock expansion station, put a dual-DVI-D video card in it, and run three external monitors. One from the station's DVI port, two from the card added to the dock.

Anyone have any success doing this with any recent Dells?? I'd sure appreciate any feedback before I get started.

If you have a recommended half-height PCI video card (not PCI Express or AGP) for the dock, all the better.

Thanks, and feel free to email me!

Best of luck to all on this issue,
Aaron
capicon@comcast.net
E   2006-10-01 11:06
I have the matrox dual head 2 go and am running a pair of 19" monitors in addition to my e1705. Works fine for me.
dave   2007-04-20 00:01
..well here's a pcm-cia to express-card adaptor (( as of april of '07 )) ..for about $120

http://www.duel-systemsadapters.com/shop.cfm?categoryid=1
Tom   2007-04-27 10:49
Running a Dell Latitude D505 notebook in a docking station and want to keep it in a secure cabinet under desk out of the way and out of view of potential thieves. I want to use two external monitors. Notebook was preloaded with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 and will operate notebook monitor plus one external, but will not recognize second external monitor. One monitor plugged into vga on back of dock, and using an vga to DVI-D adapter to plug second monitor DVI-D port.

NO LUCK.... very frustrated. How do make the notebook recognize the second monitor plugged into the DVI-D port?
Brad   2007-05-13 11:57
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 w/ATI Radeon X300 adapter. I had set it up to be able to show a Power Point Presentation using the presenters view and multiple monitor option with a projector to do so... Since then I am no longer able to display anything through the projector while it is also displayed on the laptop screen... the only thing I can get is the presenter view PPT or switch the primary monitor as the projector (function F8) other wise I get no input or just the wallpaper to my desktop but no icons, programs or mouse...

Anyone have an idea how I can get back to 1 monitor and let it also display on the projector?

Brad
nikv   2007-06-11 00:22
http://www.digitaltigers.com/sidecar_us1-sidecar1.shtml?gclid=CLzg8YGU1IwCFQS7YAodt3_Vsg
tko   2007-07-13 04:33
I recently got a dell latitude 620 with a docking station and initially had a problem with using both the DVI and VGA to run multiple monitors. However, by going to controlpanel-poweroptions-advanced-powerbuttons and setting the "When I close the lid of my portable computer" to 'Do Nothing'. This enables me to use two external monitors with the laptop. Otherwise, I was only able to use the laptops internal display and 1 external. I don't believe you can configure more than two monitors (e.g. 2 external & internal laptop display) without additinal hardware (vtbook, easidock etc...) Hope this helps.
jimmy   2007-11-04 05:45
system restore will put your laptop back to before you swithed primary monitor.also on my laptop ctl alt and f3 changes to one or the other and ctl alt f1 does the other
Andre   2007-11-14 05:23
Question for TKO using the latitude D620. I wasn't clear from your comments. Are you able to get your two external monitors and your laptop monitor working? Giving you three monitors in total. I've got the same configuration with a D620 and docking station, but I couldn't get all three working at the same time. Only 2 of the 3 work at once.

Thanks
Ru   2007-12-17 05:36
Tko,
Very useful post.
I have the same setup but running into an issue connecting the monitor because it does not have a DVI-D signal.
Did you have a digital monitor? If not how did you get it to work with DVD-D port on the docking station.

Thanks in advance
Ru
Rich O'Regan a hard cuunt   2008-01-04 06:18
Listen boys and girls..

I want to buy an Dell Inspirion as price cheap - but I need two connect at least 2 maybe 3 extra TFT screens.. for stock market trading

But my mum's 6400 has only got 1 VGA port and no DVI

So I check the MatrixDualHead2Go because I want to find out if it's compatible..

AND THERE IS A FORM ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT YOU COMPLETE AND IT WILL TELL YOU IF YOUR COMPUTER IS COMPATIBLE

When filling out the form, depending of what you enter, it will ask you to:

'Select the GPU Model(s) and click Next.'

If you scroll to bottom you may notice it says
'Note: If the GPU Model(s) you're looking for does not appear in the list(s) above, please click here to run the GXM System Compatibility Tool to check if your system is compatible under Windows. '

Download this app.. its good, it will tell you if your system is compatible.

It says the Dell Inspirion 6400 is compatible..
(I'm using my mum's.. so now I will go and buy another 6400!! wickidd man)

So check your laptop/computer compatibility go to:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/compatibility/compatibility.php

p.s. There is also a THREE head card
But I ran the test on this Inspiron 6400 and its is INCOMPATIBLE.. so I can only get the TWO head card.

Listen if this helps let me know
cheers bruva
Osiris   2008-01-22 09:23
I have a Precision M70, and a dock, with two external monitors running off of the dock. It's a pretty sweet setup, as I have the same one in another office, and I can have the same workstation whichever location I'm at.

The only thing is this: I'd like to have the two monitors AND the laptop display, so I can have three monitors, and use the laptop's LCD for something like email, or IM, or something...

Does anyone know how I might accomplish this? (Not interested in the Matrox widget, either, not that I think it'll help in this situation...)

Osiris
Shinji   2008-05-05 03:51
Well the E1705 is compatible with the Dual Head2Go as well as the Triple Head2Go. It is dependent on the particular GPU you are using however. For example I got a Nvidia GeForce Go 7900GS in mine and it says it can accept both types going to a max resolution of 3840x1200. That's either 2x 1920x1200 or 3x 1280x1024.
KimboTrader   2008-05-06 06:45
I had the same problem with my old Dell Laptop, 1 external display (whereas dell told me I could also do a total of 3). Anyway - Naples Technology has a USB to VGA unit that will drive a external monitor with 1600x1200 at its max. I think it is like $100 - they sell a QuadStation Mobile that I was going to get, but went with a 8 monitor system instead. Hope this helps

Kim A
ComputerRich   2008-11-12 11:57
Good morning,

I have come across a E1705 Dell running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 giving me the blue screen of death after attempting to load up the MUP.SYS.

I figure to go with a system restore;

#1 Unsure how to get into hard drive system restore or if one is available.

#2 dont have the install cds that came "Kids got to them" and the only restore DVD's i see available are for a different OS.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell Inspiron E1705 Laptop and 2 Extra LCD Monitors?