Forums -> Multiple monitors -> SiS 650 (onboard) + GeForce2 on XP = No go. Any hints?
Dan Morrison   2006-06-19 02:32
Hey. I'm having trouble here :-/ .
I've been through the forums, but after reading 30 messages with hopeful subjects, still no happier. I'm NOT getting "error 10" - it just seems that plugging in my extra (AGP) card totally hides the existance of the old onboard one.

My config looks almost identical to this one in the database

SiS 650_740 [SiS 651 Rev 00, SiS compatible, driver version 6.13.10.2140] 8 MB RAM
- Onboard, built-in to this Acer Aspire TD300 (Celeron)

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 | 64 MB Adapter RAM
- AGP slot

With Bios set to Primary display either AGP or PCI - same result,
the GeForce2 starts, and the on-board is forgotton and undetectable by XP.

I've run hardware changes and all, tried uninstalling drivers and re-detecting device. Using the latest manufacturers drivers in both.

Am I a lost cause? I SEE that config reported as valid. I'll see If I can locate the EXACT driver versions listed in the database (mine are newer!).

---
If this fails, I've seen mention of my specific NVidia GeForce being twinview-capable. ... but, um, it's only got a one VGA-out. Is there some hardware splitter I should buy or what? I couldn't see that step in the FAQ.

TIA, .dan.

.dan.
n3twork   2006-06-19 18:57
The problem is that you can't use on board video and AGP video at same time.. you need to replace your AGP card with a PCI card. The on board video is treated as an AGP card and when you put a card in your AGP slot the onboard video basically gets turned off. There just isn't a way to make it work sorry. Try finding the same card you have but in pci format and it will work.
Dan Morrison   2006-06-19 19:52
Thanks a thousand.
I suspected this from the beginning, but couldn't, couldn't see this explanation in writing anywhere.
I found no indicator in bios or anywhere just whether the onboard adaptor was PCI or AGP.

I just managed to salvage a few vid cards, and they're all AGP, and... Fine, I'll go hunting for a cheap PCI one.

I'll stop trying random reconfigurations now, I guess :-B

Grazie,

.dan.
Andrew Bolster   2006-06-20 05:58
I have the same problem but with an ATI Radeon Express 200 onboard and a PCI-E NVidea Geforce 7600GS, Any difference between the AGP behavious and the PCI-E?

"Its Worth A Try I Guess"
ECarlson   2006-06-20 11:21
PCI-e can sometimes work with onboard. AGP cannot.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
David DeRolph   2006-06-21 12:40
Hmmm, I think some bad advise was given here. You do not need to give up your AGP card; you can combine it with a PCI card.

Or, get an AGP card that supports two monitors. I have a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 in an AGP slot; one monitor is connected to the regular VGA connector; the other one, also with a VGA cable, is connected to the DVI port on the video card via a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I just saw the same situation in the database here.
n3twork   2006-06-21 19:33
He needs to give up his AGP card if he wants to use his on board video ;P
I was thinking more along hte lines of replacing an AGP wiht it's pci counterpart.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> SiS 650 (onboard) + GeForce2 on XP = No go. Any hints?