Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Weird happenings in the world of OLD pci cards.
n3twork   2006-06-19 19:11
Well my system is in the database but let's just say it was the cheapest 3 display system I could make ;P But what the hell it does the job and I'm happy with it.
The card I'm having problems with is this old piece of .... trident 2 meg pci video card (this card is seriously old but has one very nice feature... using the jumpers I can make it do TV out even from post). Anyhow the problem is that when I open a movie on the monitor that uses this card (I use VLC as my media player) it basically works but the image is all sorts of weirdness.. half the monitor is fine the other half is like interlaced and offset... if I open another video over that one everything is ok... I read another post about this something about not using overlays or somehting like that... does anyone know if I can tell just that one video card not to use overlays or not?
David DeRolph   2006-06-21 12:43
dude, you know you've got some really old hardware there. Seems to me the solution is to get something newer. I'd get busy on ebay.
n3twork   2006-06-21 19:31
Didn't have to... just turned off overlay and everythign was fine... nothign wrong with old hardware ;P I'm not doing nay 3d on those screens so old pci cards are fine with me.
David DeRolph   2006-06-22 14:32
Hmmm, video card overlay. Never heard of it before.

As far as old video cards go, my comment was based on my experience trying to user an ATI XPERT 98 PCI card w/8MB of memory to run a second monitor with Win XP. That worked OK with Win 98SE, but not with Win XP, even though I found a driver that supposedly should allow the card to work with Win XP. And, I believe it's generally known that some older hardware will not work with Win XP; this is why Microsoft provided a diagnostic tool (I can't remember what is is called) that computers users thinking of upgrading the OS on an older computer can use to determine confirm that Win XP will run on their computer's hardware components.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Weird happenings in the world of OLD pci cards.