Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Getting worried because of Vista...
Kevin   2006-06-24 17:46
I'm currently running 3 monitors w/ a PCI express 6600GT and 2 geforce 4 mx440 PCIs driving one monitor each. From what I have researched, this will not work on windows vista because of the two pci vid cards. Please confirm this :)

The current solution i'm thinking of is by changing my board to a SLI capable mobo and use two PCI-e 6600GTs but not using an SLI setup. One would drive the center primary monitor and another one would drive the two secondary monitors. Is this possible?

If I would like to use the SLI setup, can I turn this on or off software wise? or do i need to open it up each time i use SLI and reboot?

I'm not a gaming guy so using SLI is not much of my concern. My primary concern is to just use the three monitors as I am normally using it as a three monitor desktop.

Kevin

PS: Thanks in advance :)
Christian Studer   2006-06-26 09:44
I've never heard anything about Vista not supporting regular PCI video cards, but also haven't tested it myself.

Where did you read this?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ECarlson   2006-06-26 10:03
If you have a spare hard drive sitting around, why not give Vista Beta 2 a try? I downloaded the DVD image from Microsoft last night (took about 70 minutes via Comcast Cable at 6.Mbps), but I haven't burned the DVD yet.

I see no reason why the PCI cards wouldn't "work" with Vista, but they might not get you the optional Windows Aero display mode, which require a bit of video power.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Kevin   2006-06-27 00:02
I'm not sure about PCI not being supported but Wikipedia
Kevin   2006-06-27 00:04
but according to Wikipedia, only GeForce FX5200 and above video cards are supported by Vista.
Bruce   2006-06-28 13:12
Vista does support older graphics cards (right now i'm using a FX 5200 and an MX 4000. The catch is: you cant use Aero (the new transparent interface). If you install XP Drivers (im using 81.98) instead of the supplied vista drivers, both monitors will work.
Kevin   2006-06-29 14:39
So what's the minimum card supported for aero?

-Kevin
ECarlson   2006-06-30 15:59
FYI: I just installed Windows Vista Beta 2 on a 5 year old Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504 laptop (P-III/1.1Ghz, 512.Meg RAM), and it seems to work fine. When I ran Windows Update in Vista, it loaded a new NVidia video driver.

I think it only has 16.Meg video memory, so I don't think it will run Aero, but I have no idea how to tell. I guess I'll have to do a little research, unless someone here posts the answer.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Getting worried because of Vista...