Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Switch between single and dual monitor desktop setup
Jacek   2006-07-08 21:56
Hi all,

I have a HP dv8000 series notebook equipped with ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 adapter. When using it stationary I connect an external monitor and enable the Extended Desktop feature that is available for my graphic card through the Display Properties dialog. But in this mode I want to use my external monitor as the primary one, while the build-in display as a secondary one. This is also possible through the adapter’s driver available as an additional tab in the Advanced Display Properties dialog.

But before unplugging the external monitor I have to perform all the changes to the display properties in the reversed order, i.e. change the primary-secondary configuration in the Advanced dialog, correct the resolutions (both monitors have different screen resolutions) and finally unmark the check-box “Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor” in the Display Properties dialog.

What I’m looking after is some kind of tool allowing me to quickly switch between the two configurations.

I’ve tried to use ATI’s Hydravision utility, but it doesn’t seem to support this type of configuration. I’ve also tried the UltraMon utility and it seems I can define different Display Profiles configured for one or two monitors, but it doesn’t seem to be capable to switch between primary and secondary monitor.

Is there any tool there allowing this type of configuration? Alternatively is there anyone who knows how the information is stored to the Windows Registry?

Thanks,
Jacek
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Switch between single and dual monitor desktop setup