Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can a laptop be the SECONDARY monitor?
soberg   2006-07-11 04:33
Windows XP "out of the box" capabilities appear to require any system including a laptop to have the laptop as the primary monitor.

According to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multimonitor.mspx, "...when using Dualview on a laptop [with Windows XP], your primary display must always be the laptop's LCD screen..." This corresponds with the Control Panel/Display/Settings dialogue, which grays out the choice to make my secondary monitor primary.

I have a laptop and a separate 18" LCD monitor. I want the LCD to be primary when I am at my desk (which is 99% of the time). Will Ultramon permit me to make the LCD primary?

Thanks!
Christian Studer   2006-07-11 09:58
UltraMon also won't be able to change the primary monitor, but you can do this via the software for the video chipset (usually a tab under advanced display properties), or by pressing the laptop key to switch between the internal and external monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
n3twork   2006-07-13 16:59
I have a laptop running windows XP as well and nothing is forcing me to use my laptop display as the primary display. This depends on what kind of video chip you have in your laptop. One thing you can try is the omegadrivers for that card if it's ati or nvidia. These drivers work out well most of the time but they are known not to work 100% on all cards.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can a laptop be the SECONDARY monitor?