Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Splitting dual-dvi, stupid question, I know.....
Hammerheart   2006-07-27 21:51
Greetings everybody,

I have a maybe quite annoying question, but is it possible to split the signal coming from a Dual-DVI-Output to use it as Input for two independent Monitors? I need it for a 3D-Application, so maybe I could setup my rendering so that one part is on the left-side of the rendered image and vice versa. I intend to use ATIs FireGL-Cards with two Dual-DVI-Ports to drive 4 Monitors.

Thanks in advance!
Hammerheart   2006-07-27 22:02
Correction:

I think I messed up two Words:

I want to split up a DUAL-LINK-DVI-Output to two independent monitors.
HughJorgan   2006-08-04 09:44
I too am curious if with the proper cable. Presumably a 60 pin LFH Male Dvi-d to 2 29 pin LFH dvi. The graphics card would drive both panels independatly? Im thinking it would just mirror the image to both screens. If you find this out please post. Im currantly having to run one in analog.

Thanks in advance
HughJorgan   2006-08-04 09:48
I forgot to mention, that this is assuming the graphics adaptor has a dual link Dvi. Im running a radeon 1600 pro 512MB with the dual link port on it.
Hammerheart   2006-08-07 01:34
Haven't tried it yet, but as far as I have learned Dual-Link DVI splits the Images up in Odd and Even Pixels. It does not send two "complete" Images through the Extra-Bandwidth of the Dual-Link-DVI. So even if you manage to plug an appropriate cable to your Card, you will get at best 2 very striped Images on your monitors...

We will use Geforce Quadro Cards with 4 DVI-Ports each for our Project

But anyway thanks for the reply!
HughJorgan   2006-08-08 03:50
Thanks for your reply. If this is the case then the Matrox Dual link cards must be completely different. The matrox cards with the afformentioned cable the signal is split into two complete signals containing all the information. Your dual DVI ports are of course the way to go. Im just not ready to retire my APG system just yet. Good luck with your project. Triple head is the way to go...Ill never go back. ;)
HughJorgan   2006-08-08 03:53
Upon reading your earlier post. You can of course run 4 seperate panels from 4 seperate ports. So long as your using the appropriate software. I use Ultra mon in addition to the card vendor software.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Splitting dual-dvi, stupid question, I know.....