Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Performance hit with dual monitors on laptops
Neil   2006-08-02 06:03
I've "uncovered" a problem with using dual monitors on laptops (several makes & models):
When apps (I've developed) run in dual monitor mode, graphic performance takes big hit. Its visible in several ways such as difference in time it takes to load a series of bmp in single v dual monitor modes. I've used proDelphi to meter performance and have found 10x performance hit between modes.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?
Thnx
Chris   2006-09-06 22:34
I see the same thing on my Dell Latitude d610 using the d-dock and an ATI Radeon 7000 dual head.

It is acceptable for office apps but fast screen changes lag badly. Undock it and I have no problems.

I have no ideas on how to fix it.

Chris
Aaron   2006-09-21 11:47
Chris--

I'm considering buying a Dell D620 with a D/Dock, if and only if I can find an elegant way to run 2-3 external monitors.

My thought has been to put another video card in the dock and run 2-3 external monitors (1 from the DVI on the dock, 1 from the dock's video card, and 1 from the VGA on the dock).

You seem to be the only one I can find online who mentions having done something similar, speed issues aside.

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1. How many external monitors are you running? 2. When you added the card to the dock, did the laptop kill off the internal video card in favor of the card, or is it successfully running off both cards (sounds like it works, just want to confirm).
3. What internal video card do you have?
4. How did you figure out how to do this / can you point me to some resources? Dell hasn't been much help - did someone there actually help you?

If you could drop me an email would be great - I'd love to be able to swap lessons with you if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks,
Aaron
capicon@comcast.net
Chris   2007-01-05 02:18
Just a follow up...

I solved my problem by switching from the ATI card to a NVidia FX 5200 card.

Now all is well.

Chris
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Performance hit with dual monitors on laptops