Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2nd Card to go with Geforce3?
Cheesekeeper   2001-08-06 01:24
I am in the process of upgrading my system (yet again), and will be trading in my trusty G400max for a Gainward Geforce3. I am using dual 21" displays, and am having a lot of trouble deciding what to use as my 2nd video card. Since I am used to a Matrox, image quality is a concern, which makes me a little concerned about the Geforce2mx. I get the impression that PCI matrox cards don't work as well as they should as secondary cards (plus they refuse to support non-Intel chipsets properly). The Voodoo5 5500 PCI is tempting, but they are nearly impossible to get, and don't really seem to justify the expense (plus very little chance of future support). Radeon is tempting, but many people seem to think that the Win 2000 drivers are shaky.

Assuming that price is not an issue (it is, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's pretend it isn't), what would be the absolute best PCI card to use in this combo? I havn't ruled out any of the cards listed above. Many thanks...

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz @1533
MSI K7 Master MB (AMD 760 Chipset)
512Mb DDR SDRAM
Cheesekeeper   2001-08-06 01:30
Oh yes, forgot to mention the KyroII - very tempting, but can't seem to find any details of anyone using them as a 2nd card yet. Plus using 2 cards with completely different rendering techniques might be a problem? Also, since nVidia don't seem too fond of the Kyro (I wonder why...) "accidental" driver incompatabilities may be a worry. Thanks again.....
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2nd Card to go with Geforce3?