Forums -> Multiple monitors -> freeze up
Lanny   2006-08-17 00:45
Ever since I attached a second monitor a few days ago I've experienced a problem.

When I right click on a file in a Windows Explorer window and click on Sendto, the Context Sensitive does not open up my SendTo list of destinations, and the context sensitive window freezes open. The whole system is not frozen, but behaves badly. The mouse pointer moves, and clicking on other windows selects those windows, but the action I click on doesn't work in some cases. Eventually, the error message Windows Explorer (Not Responding) shows up.

Each time this happened, I used Alt-Tab to switch to various open apps, closed them, and powered off or restarted the computer. Each time, the computer was okay for a while, but then the same problem recurred.

I have a Dell Dimension 9100, a Logitech cordless Trackman mouse, a Dell monitor and a Viewsonic monitor. I have a 128MB PCI Experess x16 ATI Radeon X300 SE video cards.

Since I can't afford to go thru this periodically thru the day I have now disconnected the second monitor, but I'd like to try again if someone knows how I can fix this problem.

Lanny
n3twork   2006-08-23 16:00
First guess would be to re-install the video drivers don't see why having a second display would affect your send to selectiosn or make that part of the OS hang. Sounds like if when you use two monitors there may be an option trying to be added to send to that shouldn't be there. Try uninstalling and reinstalling hte video card drivers.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> freeze up