Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Extra monitor with an USB2 to VGA convertor
Jan Arkesteijn   2006-09-08 00:49
Hallo all
Did anybody try an USB2 to VGA convertor (like the Sitecom CN-105) to connect an extra monitor to an existing multimonitor setup ??
My special interest is to use it for 2D Flight Simulator 2004 panels

Please let me know of any experience, good or bad

See you, Jan Arkesteijn
Jan Arkesteijn   2006-09-16 06:55
Hallo all,
As nobody could give me advise I took the risk and bought a Sitecom CN-105 USB2 to VGA Adapter a few days ago. It is currently used to connect a second monitor to my notebook

My experience is that it was very easily to install and certainly works well with applications like Wordprocessing, emailing, web browsing, Internet TV (80kb/640 kbit/s) and, my primary use, undocked 2d panels in Flight Simulator 2004.

I did not test it, but, given the bandwidth limitation of USB2, I should not expect any acceptable result in 'heavy' 3d apps.

See you, Jan
ECarlson   2006-09-16 09:51
Thanks for this info. I would be curious to hear what happens if you try to run a 3D game on it. And how is it for playing videos?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Jan Arkesteijn   2006-09-16 16:50
Hi Eric,

I did some additional tests this morning :

1. It was not possible to view a DVD video on the secondary monitor

2. If I run FS 2004 with the outside view on the primary monitor and the 2d instrument panel on the secondary I get 35-40 fps. If I move the outside view to the secondary and the 2d panel to the primary it drops down to 3 fps

See you, Jan
ECarlson   2006-09-18 13:33
So it looks like it's definately not a fast performer, but good where performance is not a requirement.

For the video, did you try a different video player. Some video players have problems displaying video on secondary monitors. Also, what about trying other video formats?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Extra monitor with an USB2 to VGA convertor