Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor Numbering - It is indeed important - Any help?
Jason   2006-09-10 01:52
I've read many posts of users trying to renumber the way that Windows / drivers numbers multiple monitors. Most responses simply say to swap the cables and be done with it, or that using UltraMon or Windows to logically arrange them takes care of any problems. However, I've got a case where the numbering is indeed important, and it is not so simple to simply swap the cables.

I have a machine using two Dell 30" panels and two Dell 21" panels in a 2x2 matrix. The computer is the main control station that operates an oil refinery, and is running a very specialized control application. The machine has PCIe ATI Dual-Link DVI card and a PCI ATI card with 1 VGA and 1 DVI. The PCI card cannot push the 30" panels due to the dual-link requirement of those panels. Due to the operator console limitations, the two 30" panels must be on top, and the smaller ones on the bottom.

The problem I'm having is that the application that I'm running REQUIRES that the top two monitors (the 30"s), from left to right, be 1 and 4, and the bottom (20"s) be 2 and 3. But the driver / Windows / God will not let me number them like this.

I've read that the monitor numbering is dynamic at Windows load... but has anyone found a way / trick / anything to get the numbering that you want? I'd read that it was a thought to try to incorporate this in UltraMon v3. I wish it were as simple as swapping the cables or moving the monitors, but it's not that easy in this case.

Any help would be incredible.

Jason
twillux@cox.net
David DeRolph   2006-09-12 02:40
What is the "dual-link requirement"?
wildpig   2006-09-13 00:57
Dual link DVI requirements are for panel with greater than 1920x1200 pixels resolution.

I am not sure how you can get then number to be exactly whatever you what. Sounds to me like all you want is for the monitors to be arranged exactly in a certain way relative to each other? If all you need is to maintain the arrangement, that can easily be done with a lot of the multimon utilities.
wildpig   2006-09-13 01:01
Usually the monitors on the PCIe cards are numbered 1 and 2 and the 2nd PCI card are 3, 4, etc, I am not sure there is a way to change the numbers. Also I would expect that your application should allow you to put windows on whichever monitor
Jason   2006-09-13 12:44
You're correct about the PCIe and the PCI numbering; this is exactly what I've experienced. What I need is the following arrangement:

1 4
2 3

Due to the dynamic assignment, I get 1 and 2 on the top, and 3 and 4 on the bottom. Unfortunately, the application that I'm using does not allow changing the arrangement, even if I use UltraMon or Windows to logically arange them in a 2x2 grid. The program is one large window spread maximized to all screens, and it gives unpredictable results when not to spec. Still stuck trying to figure this out...

Jason
twillux@cox.net
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor Numbering - It is indeed important - Any help?