Forums -> Multiple monitors -> secondary screen doesn't work, using DVI to VGA adaptor
Jason B>   2006-09-10 14:24
I'm have a ATI Radeon 9100 video card, and i'm trying to set up a second monitor using a dvi to vga adaptor, computer recognizes the second monitor but no screen is displayed on the screen.
OS Windows XP.
I think it has to do with the DVI port on the video card and not sending any information to the monitor.
Hopefully you guys can help.
David DeRolph   2006-09-12 02:33
If you go to Display Properties, Settings, do you see both monitors represented there? Is the second one enabled?
Jason B>   2006-09-12 08:41
Yes i see both monitors and when the second one is enabled but shows on it.
ECarlson   2006-09-12 10:00
Are you sure the card has a DVI-I output, and not a DVD-D output? DVI-D (Digital Only) outputs on video cards are far less common than DVI-I (Analog and Digital), but there are some cards out there that only have DVI-D for their DVI ports.

If the DVI-VGA adapter came with your card, then it's pretty safe to assume that it is DVI-I, but if you had to buy the adapter separately, there is a chance that it is only DVI-D, or perhaps the adapter is bad.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Jason B>   2006-09-13 12:54
ok so how do you tell the diffenrenc between and DVI-I port to a DVI-D port?
ECarlson   2006-09-14 14:04
You probably have to read the card specs to be sure, but if the analog pins are missing, then it is definately DVI-D.

Look up DVI on Wikipedia.com, and you'll have all the information you need to check the pins.

If the analog pins are there, then it could be either, and the specs should tell which type of DVI output it has.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> secondary screen doesn't work, using DVI to VGA adaptor