Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 9 monitors off of 1 computer
howied   2006-09-14 12:31
I was wondering if it would be possible to display accross 9 screens with one computer. What would be the most efficent way to do this?
The max resolution i need is 1280x768 per screen making a grand total of 11520x768

1 computer X 9 video cards x 9 desktops
1 computer X 3 Video cards x 3 desktops streching 3 screens
1 computer X 1 Video card x 1 desktops

what kind of motherboard would support this?
what kind of video cards would work together to do this?

Thanks for your help.

HowieD

"am i as crazy as me?" - Me
ECarlson   2006-09-14 14:21
It depends on what you want to display on the 9 monitors, like 3D games would be an issue, but for a simple regular Windows Extended Desktop, you just need the appropriate video cards to get 9 outputs. I'd probably use two 4-output cards, and one ordinary dual-output card, to get 10 monitor capability (you don't have to use the 10th output if you only want 9).

You could also go with three 3-output Matrox cards, but that has some limitations.

You'll have to pay attention to what types of slots the computer has. It would be simple to get a regular 2-output PCIe or AGP card for the first card, then add a couple of 4-output PCI cards, but if you want the 4-output cards to be PCIe, unless you can find 4-output PCIe x1 cards, you'll need a special motherboard that has more than 2 PCIe x16 slots.

You can find plenty of motherboards with two PCIe x16 slots, so you could also then get a pair of 4-output PCIe x16 cards, and a PCIe x1 or PCI 2-output card.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Tradesman   2006-09-30 17:53
The Asus P5 W64WS Professional has 4PCI-E (x16)?
graphics ports and can natively support 8 monitors.
I need to know if this is a better solution than a multi-headed single port graphics card such as Matrox or NVidia,etc.

Tradesman
Kyle M   2006-10-06 05:28
I think keeping the current motherboard and going with a multiple output pci card would be cheapest if you are going with more than a quad output from a single card. With the pci-e the prices would rise a lot. Xentera gt 8 supports 8 monitors on a pci slot which runs around 700-800 then you could just use 1 more pci card for the last display or if you have integrated graphics, you could use that.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 9 monitors off of 1 computer