Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 56 Monitors on one PC - can it be done?
DUDE   2006-09-29 05:01
I think I'm going crazy but here's my plan:

- A beefy rackmount machine with UltraMon
- Connect the machine to PCI expansion system like the one you can find at:
http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/pci_expansion/13slot/index.html
- Put in 14 of the ATI FireMV 2200 PCI cards

Will I be able to get 56 monitors going at the same time? I'm sure it's never as simple as I think it would be.

All 56 monitors will display images from network security cameras so quality and performance is not a big concern.

I'm open to all inputs.

**DUDE**
Christian Studer   2006-09-29 09:10
I've heard from a couple of people having various problems when using more than 16 monitors, and have also seen this myself when doing testing for UltraMon with virtual (software-only) video cards.

The issues I've seen were either explorer.exe crashes or Windows crashing at the logon screen. I don't know what exactly caused the problems, maybe it's just an issue of not having enough memory installed.

Also see the FAQ for more on this.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
David DeRolph   2006-09-30 08:43
Two points: 1) Why try to do this with one computer? Is there some reason you can't spread these monitors over multiple computers? It probably would not cost anymore, perhaps less.
2) I think you need to get Surveillance System software that will display multiple webcams/surveillance cameras on one monitor. I can't give you a recommendation for any particular software because I'm not personally familiar with such software. But, I know such software exists and I believe it's commonly used in larger Surveillance Systems to capture multiple views on one monitor. For example, if you to capture 4 views on one monitor, you would need 16 monitors to capture 56 views instead of 56.
Kyle M   2006-10-06 05:35
David, for the surveillence I think a Video router would be cheaper if indeed he was using it for security. (Taking 4 video inputs and putting them on one monitor.)

If you ever do get this running or have a website that shows the progress of the project, I would be really interested in seeing it.
Kyle M   2006-10-06 05:37
Me=Stupid
Didn't read all of first post before posting my own response. Sorry David.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 56 Monitors on one PC - can it be done?