Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can i extend my desktop PC to a laptop via VGA?
FuManChuu   2006-09-30 07:20
Hey guys... you seem to be quite the smart community when it comes to dual monitors, so I'm dropping a post here.

I have a several year old Toshiba Tecra laptop that isnt getting used. I decided I would LOVE to have it as a second monitor, and just run my TV tuner fullscreen on it all the time... but thus far I'm thinking thats not possible. It has VGA and S video ports... but I guess all those ports on a laptop are OUT ONLY? My desktop has an Nvidia 6800GT with DVI (currently hookedup to my dell LCD), VGA, and Svideo. I've seen maxivista and such, but I don't think any of those "virtual" monitor setups are gonna allow my videos/directx type stuff to run across the lines.... Anyone have a neat trick to getting this to work :D?
ECarlson   2006-09-30 11:48
MaxiVista is what I was going to say. You could give it a try with the free trial.

I haven't heard of any hardware hacks to allow a laptop display to be used as an ordinary display, but I also haven't looked for any either. It could be a useful hack.

It would be even better if you could use the display, keyboard, and pointing device in the laptop as a regular display, keyboard, and pointing device. It would be great for working on servers that don't have displays, keyboards, and pointing devices.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
c2scott   2006-12-29 03:44
has anyone tried MaxiVista in a UltraMon enviornment? Will it conflict?
Mas(+)teR   2007-01-06 02:35
Maxivista works fine with ultramon, however, if you already have a secondary video card installed on your pc, you may well run into trouble using it. I dont know if this is an actual limitation, but with my nVidia Geforce 6600AGP/5200PCI 4 screen setup, i was unable to extend my desktop to a reasonably powerful laptop using maxivista.

Due to the way laptop TFT's are wired into most laptops motherboards using onboard controllers, it is very very difficult to use one as a normal monitor. A high degree of technical prowess is required ( not to mention the death of the laptop). Good luck in finding those extra inch's of monitor, believe me it becomes quite an addiction.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can i extend my desktop PC to a laptop via VGA?