Forums -> Multiple monitors -> two 7950GX2 and three monitor setup
Eris   2006-09-30 18:07
Setup scenario:

1) first 7950GX2 card with SLI enabled, hook up with a 24" LCD. (center monitor)
2) second 7950GX2 card with SLI disabled, hook up with two 20" LCD. (Left & Right monitors)

I'm not familiar the way nvidia driver handling two 7950GX2 cards. If i disable SLI on the second card, will SLI on the first card be disabled as well? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Skizo   2006-10-15 19:24
I don't think you're familiar with what SLI is. SLI stands for Scalable Link Interface. SLI is either enabled, or it isn't. Meaning, either both cards are being utilized, or they aren't. If SLI is disabled, then you are only utilizing ONE graphics card.

Now with that out of the way, it's is my unfortunate duty to inform you that 2 or more monitors cannot run if SLI is enabled.

Proof here.

I'll assume you've figured that out by now. But do not fret, there is a solution for you.

I ran into this same problem in trying to run two 19" LCD's with my 7900GTX's and found a solution. I Googled "Dual monitor output in SLI" and came up with some forum discussions involving reg hacks and patches which seemed to result in what I was looking for. Ironically, the solution that worked best for me was a recommendation I found on the NVidia forum's to buy a low end ATI card. This solution worked great for me. Let me know if it works for you.

SLI W/ DUAL MONITORS LINK
ECarlson   2006-10-16 11:21
Skizo: The 7950GX2 card has 2 processors, and a single 7950GX2 card can run in SLI mode with itself.

I don't know the answer to the original poster's question, but I would hope it is possible to run one card in SLI and the other as 2 independent cards.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Eris   2006-10-21 06:10
The setup in my original post WILL not work according to nivida tech-support. SLI can only be enabled or disabled. By default, 2 monitor setup is possible, one monitor per card. With SLI completely disabled, 4 monitor is setup is possible. With quad SLI enabled, only 1 monitor setup is possible.
ECarlson   2006-10-21 12:03
Too bad they don't support that configuration. I wonder if you use an ordinary single-processor, dual-output video card for your second video card to drive 2 monitors, and use one dual-processor SLI card for the primary monitor, assuming you only need SLI performance on the primary.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Eris   2006-10-22 05:23
Thanks Eric. What you suggesting will work. With two monitors sharing a single processor is ok with me because i only need dekstop workspace for coding and CAD stuff. SLI for primary monitor is just to accommodate gamers on my workstation.
Fredster73   2006-11-13 01:01
I have a question regarding all this

I disabled SLI mode ten proceeded as follows :

PLugin 1 Monitor to 1 7800GTX , and plugin the second monitor to the other 7800GTX.

The only issue I seem to have is when playing a video of some sort .. It appears on the primary screen but when dragging to the second one the sound plays but image is blanked out .

Should I revert to connecting the two monitors to only 1 7800gtx ? that would mean my second card would be useless no O_o

Thansk for any replies ..
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> two 7950GX2 and three monitor setup