Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple Monitors on a laptop
Pete   2006-10-10 20:29
I have a dell Latitude D800 with a docking station (no docking viedo card) with two dell 15" flat screen panels attached (1 via DVI and the other by standard vga cable).

I have the DVI cable monitor running my email using the built in windows display properties, my question is: is it possible to get the standard vga cabled monitor running another app, just using windows xp display settings? I read on microsoft that XP supports upto 10 monitors but i can't seem to get my other one to work. The chipset is Nvidia and it recognises the other monitor but won't let me activate all three.

Is there a way without purchasing any extra hardware?

cheers
Chris   2006-10-10 22:43
I'm not sure I fully understand your message so forgive me if my reply is wrong to your situation.

I use a Dell D610 with the D-Dock. It is my understanding that one can only use one of the external connectors (DVI or VGA) on the back of the D-Dock not both. Dual display is only possible with the laptop screen and one external monitor.

I use an dual head ATI card in the D-Dock to run dual 19" monitors. With this setup it is possible to run two monitors off the card, one off the D-Dock itself and the laptop screen (total 4).

As a side note, if you chose to buy a video card for the D-Dock get an nVidia card not an ATI. Why? IMHO, nVidia works better with the D-Dock than the ATI cards and nVidia has better multi-monitor software bundled with the card.

Hope this helps and my appologies if it did not.

Chris
Pete   2006-10-11 00:20
thanks chris for your reply,

I was under the impression that i could run the two monitors in conjunction with my v shaped dock and windows xp but i guess not.

ahh well then back to using the one monitor and laptop......

Pete
N3twork   2006-10-18 21:40
You should be able to run one monitor from the laptops VGA port and one from the docks DVI port. I know I can do this on my IBM machine and I'm almost certain you can do it on a Dell as well.
Alex   2006-10-30 05:39
N3twork,

What IBM machine are you using? What video card is configured. I am loking for core 2 duo machine with capability of running 2 external monitors in addition to laptop.

Thanks
-Alex
Olaf Rabbachin   2006-10-31 22:06
Just FYI - I have a Dell Precision M70 ("Mobile Workstation" = Laptop) which, in my office, sits in a D-Dock docking-station. Although the Laptop itslef only has one VGA-port on its back, the docking-station comes with one DVI and one VGA-port. The docking-station does not have any additional graphics-card (the laptop has a 256MB NVidia Quadro something), but still I can connect two monitors to the docking-station and run two monitors, extending the desktop. Thus, depending on your laptop's hardware, you should be able to achieve the same result.
OTOH, before I got the M70 I had an M50 with a C-Dock. The laptop itself wasn't capable of using two monitors, neither was the C-Dock. However, the C-Dock had to PCI-slots, one of which I used with an Elsa Erazor2 card which enabled two monitors.
It was pretty hard to actually find a graphics-card that ran without crashing windows all the time, hence that antique card. Both a Matrox Millenium nor an ATI-card back then resulted in Windows being very instable.

Tenor: if either the laptop itself has a graphics-adapter or the docking-station allows for an additional card, you should well be able to get more than one monitor running. Another alternative is to use one of Matrox' extenders - these (external) boxes will split up the signal coming from your laptop's VGA-card and produce two outputs with 1280*1024.

Cheers,
Olaf
Ronald Goode   2006-11-03 13:10
BTW, you can run two independent monitors off the back of your d-dock, you just can't run your laptop screen at the same time.

To do this, make sure that in display properties, you first turn OFF extended desktop mode. Then click the primary screen and go to advanced properties. Under the DISPLAYS tab, click on the red button (a triangular-like button at the top right) for the FPD ("Flat Panel Display")screen. You should see the simular button for the laptop screen turn red and the one next to FTD turn green. Click APPLY and OK and close the advanced properties. Under the regular display properties, you should then be able to click on screen 2 and RESELECT extended desktop mode.

At this point you should have both external monitors running with an extended desktop.

Hope that helps.
Chris   2007-01-05 02:07
Ronald,

Being able to run two monitors off the back of the back of the d-dock sounds like good news.

I'm having trouble following youre directions though. In your post you mention a DISPLAYS tab. I do not see this tab undo Advanced Options. Mine are General, Aapter, Monitor, Troubleshoot, Color Mngt, and GeForce FX 5200. I also don'e tine a red button anywhere.

What am I missing? Is it an LCD only option for I run CRTs?

Thanks

Chris
PaulH   2008-07-24 00:08
Chris, you actually got 2 monitors working with your d/dock in addition to your laptop monitor for a total of three using an ATI card in the d/dock pci expansion slot? If so, which model ATI card?

Paul.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple Monitors on a laptop