Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Appian Hurricane vs Matrox G450/G550
Sven   2001-08-16 07:13
Since I can't afford the upper echelon multi-monitor video cards, I have narrowed my choices down to two cards; The Appian Hurricane and either the Matrox G450 or G550. I thought the best economical solution would be the Matrox cards, but then I came across the Hurricane. The price is not bad and the Brand Name has a very good reputation. So now I need some more advice. Which one would you choose?

BTW, the Appian Hurricane is based on the ATI RADEON VE controller. I am bringing this up because I had heard bad reviews on the ATI dual-monitor cards. So would this also make the Hurricane inferior to the Matrox G450 or G550?

And what is the difference between the Hurricane and the ATI dual-monitor card that uses the same chip and is a lot less expensive?

Or would you recommend an entirely different card that is in the same price range? (dual monitor with good 2d performance; 3d not required)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Christian Studer   2001-08-16 07:29
The Hurricane has drivers with true multimon support on Win2000, the RADEON VE doesn't.

As far as I know the Hurricane has better 3D than the Matrox cards, but if you need mainly 2D you can't go wrong with the G450.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
neal graham   2001-08-25 14:19
isn't the appian card one digital monitor and one analog? I just went to their site and that's what it looked like.... This is why I've given up on the radeon card.

neal
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Appian Hurricane vs Matrox G450/G550