Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! Bought a Matrox G450, need installation help
1nonlymarisa   2001-08-21 13:06
Hello all. After researching this forum and the gallery, I decided that a multi-monitor system is where I want to be. So I bought a Matrox G450 Dual Head. It arrived today, and it doesn't have any installation instructions! Now, I am just a casual computer nerd, not an expert by any means, but I think I can install this thing myself if I just get a general idea of where to start. I am a little nervous about opening my computer because I never have before, but I am game to try. I just don't want to kill my puter!! I am running Win 2K Pro on a brand-new 1.2 ghz athlon system with 384 mb of ram. I have a cd that was included with the video card, which I am assuming contains the drivers - it's not labeled, though. Anyone that could point me to a good reference or who is willing to help out a friendly but confused newbie would be greatly appreciated. onenonlymarisa - at yahoo or netscape - or icq me at 126272088.

1nonlymarisa
Almghty   2001-08-21 15:22
okay so here goes ...

Befre you install your new G450 card ..take the trouble to download the latest drivers FIRST. The ones on the CD will do BUT the latest ones will give you independent resolution on each monitor.

Take off the pnel to your computer.

Unplug your computer / monitor from the powerpoint.

Ground yourelf just in case ...just touch the case or something to discharge

remove your video card.

insert in your new card.

screw in..and leave the case STILL open.

Connect your monitor and turn on your computer.

if you gte something on the screen ..BIOS ..memory checks ..everything is okay.

turn off..close your case and continue.

If you turned off before it went into windows ..the second time that you do ..windows will probably detect the video card and install default drivers (i cannot remember)

In either case ..update the driver with the one you downloaded.

after that everything should work as per normal.
David DeCristoforo   2001-08-23 13:18
Be sure to install the latest VIA chipset drivers BEFORE you install the Matrox card. Also, version 5.52 of the Matrox drivers is the only one I've been able to make work properly on W2K. with "true dualhead" function. You must select the option "seperate resolutions for each monitor" during the insatll or things may not worl well.
DD
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! Bought a Matrox G450, need installation help