Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will onboard video and FX 5200 external card work?
MikeR   2006-12-01 04:35
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with a GeForce FX5200 card installed. Can I use the on-board video AND the FX 5200 card to drive two monitors? If so, is there any special procedures? The FX 5200 has both digital and analog outputs however I understand the card does not support dual monitors, but perhaps if I use the on-board video!?!? Thanks in advance!
David DeRolph   2006-12-01 06:44
We may need to know whether you FX5200 card is AGP or PCI.
Kyle M   2006-12-01 21:05
The 5200 should be able to support 2 monitors at once. I have both a 5200 AGP and PCI, both 128 mbyte. I had a 4 monitor system using both cards at once. But if you want to use onboard for one monitor and the 5200 as the second we would need to know whether its AGP or PCI
ECarlson   2006-12-02 02:35
As others have alluded to, if the video card is AGP, then the onboard cannot be used at the same time. If the video card is the new PCI-e, then maybe, if it is the older PCI (no "-e"), then it is likely, but not guaranteed, that they can both be used together.

Also, that video card should support dual displays.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
MikeR   2006-12-03 05:10
Sorry for not being more specific in my first post. Yes it is AGP. So I understand that means it will NOT work in tandem with the on-board video.

Also it was mentioned that the FX 5200 will drive two monitors. I read where the InVidia 'after-market' cards will support dual monitor. However regarding InVidia's own card I have never read where it supports two monitors. I don't recall the brand, but it was another manufacture using the InVidia chip set and not InVidia. Perhaps an oversight on my part. So... I thought it would not do the trick. If, as you folks have so kindly said, it will drive two monitors, then I am all set.

So now a work related question; Non-linear editing is much nicer with three monitors, that said, can anyone enlighten me as to the best (Read: least expensive vs. performance) way to create a triple monitor setup. I don't think I can convince the boss to pony up for a dual PCI-e MOBO unless I can show a good reason for swapping it out. Is there a dual AGP MOBO on the market? Or is there such a MOBO? I understand that AGP is very tightly coupled with the main memory controller chip. I suspect that means I'm SOL. Assuming I have to go dual PCI-e slots, which would be the best investment at this point in time. Also which PCI-e cards would be the best choice (Again thinking least expensive vs. performance) to couple with the new MOBO. I know this is a very broad question and the answer will have more to do with my applications then wallet, but think Non-Linear editing primary use, and Flight Simulator X for after hours.

I can’t tell you how much help this is, I work nearly 6 tens a week and not much time for browsing for questions. So Thanks a lot!!!

-Mike
ECarlson   2006-12-03 07:24
You could add a PCI card to your existing system for a 3rd (and possibly 4th) monitor.

MikeR   2006-12-03 13:37
Eric,
So if I add a second card in an available PCI slot, what performance could I expect? (Performance of course being relative) I can't get another 5200 because they are AGP, so what card do you suppose would do the job? Any PCI card? I mean any PCI card in the capability range of the 5200? (i.e. memory?)

Oh and by the way, nice collection of walkie talkies! That brings back a few memories. (I've been a Ham Radio OP for over 25 years)
ECarlson   2006-12-03 14:50
Thanks for the nice comment about my walkie-talkie collection.

Since you're not doing 3D, any not-too-old PCI card should do the job performance-wise. I'm using a PCI card here for my 2 monitors (Matrox G450, 32.Meg, w/DVI+VGA), and I have no problems, but I don't do anything that requires a powerful video card, like 3D games.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will onboard video and FX 5200 external card work?