Forums -> Multiple monitors -> InVidia control panel question
MikeR   2006-12-07 02:01
OK, this is a pretty straight forward question. If you examine display properties before you actually plug a monitor into your video card, will you see support to two monitors?

I have a GeForce FX 5200 and there doesn’t seem to have any sort of management software running. I have checked display properties, computer management, and control panel, and no Invidia panel show up. Usually some kind of custom control panel show up in the control panel as I have seen in the past on various installations. Details: I have a Dell Dimension 4600 running an external GeForce FX 5200 card. I am running the stock drivers sent with the Dell. After doing a fresh install, I installed the driver set from the Dell CD. Then, I tried to download updated or dedicated drivers directly from NVIDIA and it would not work at all. Goodness knows who actually made this card; however it is utilizing an NVIDIA chip set. Ok, maybe this wasn’t such a simple question. Bottom Line: Is it necessary to actually have the monitor card plugged in to activate the panel?
David DeRolph   2006-12-08 03:40
You need to connect a second monitor before Windows recognizes that you have two monitors in Display Properties.

If you have nVidia's software installed, then, yes, you should be able to access a screen where you see special nVidia controls; this goes beyond what Windows shows in the standard Windows Display Properties screen.

In your Control Panel (I'm using the Classic View), you should see an icon for NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager. And, if you open Display Properties, Settings tab, click on Advanced button, you should see a tab with the name of your video adapter. Clicking on it will open a panel with options for special settings.
MikeR   2006-12-11 04:26
Thanks for the reply, but I am using default drivers which came with my XP Pro 2.6 gig Dell Dimension 4600. I tried to download updated drivers from InVidia and then nothing worked, so I had to return to stock drivers. So the upshot is I have no InVidia icon in Control Panel. :( Am I SOL, or can I access the dual monitor controls from within the default Windows controls???

Thanks,

MikeR
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> InVidia control panel question