Forums -> Multiple monitors -> help with setting up a dual monitor system
matthew   2006-12-07 16:30
i am trying to setup a dual monitor system and i have no idea if i have the right software to do it. i dont know how to find out what software my computer is running. i have connected a second monitor already and all it does is mirror the other monitor. any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Seahorse   2006-12-08 02:23
If you have an nVidia based card simply switch to Duelview. There is an ATI equivalent...

--
Rgds
Mike
www.Dead-Fish.Com Deep Sea Daddies...
David DeRolph   2006-12-08 03:26
More info would be helpful. Are both monitors connected to one video card? Does the card have DVI and VGA ports? What type monitors do you have?
matthew   2006-12-08 10:37
i am not sure what video card my computer is running. i have a Dell Dimension 5150, it is about a year old and it is running a dell E193FP screen (the main one) and a dell E151FP. Both monitors are connected to one connection using a DSE Adaptor VGA Y. there is another connection on the card it might be a DVI one, but i dont know. any further help will be greatly appreciated.
ECarlson   2006-12-08 11:21
A Y-adapter takes one signal and sends it to two monitors: Of course they are going to display exactly the same thing.

To get different images on each monitor, if your second video connector on the video card is a DVI connector, you probably just need a DVI to VGA adapter to attach a second VGA monitor to the second video output, or if you have a monitor with a DVI input, then connect it directly to the DVI connector on the video card.

If your card only has one output, either get a card with 2 outputs, or add a second video card that is compatible with one of the open card slots in your computer.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
WaxMan   2006-12-12 00:09
Your issue with using the Y adaptor and the image only showing on 1 monitor is likley screen resolution. Looking at the models you have I assume that the second display is a 15" if so set your resolution to 1024x768.

You should now see the display across both monitors however as has been stated this will be a clone view (display the same image).
ECarlson   2006-12-12 23:52
WaxMan: The first post says the mirroring was working fine on both monitors. I think the poster wanted to extend the desktop across both monitors, which won't work with just a Y-cable.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
matthew   2006-12-22 16:00
its all sweet now, i didnt have the right software installed, now i do and it works fine. thanks for all your help though
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> help with setting up a dual monitor system