Forums -> Multiple monitors -> DVI-A adapter not compatible with PCI-E?
RufusD   2007-01-20 13:07
I just got a new PC three days ago, specs below, and one of the features I couldn't live without was dual-monitor support. My previous computer ran dual monitors with an "nVIDIA 6800 OC GT" AGP card from BFGTech, one of the monitors was run from the VGA port, the other from a DVI port using a DVI-A to VGA adapter. My monitors are virtually identical (Same make, model, brand, batch.) I had no problem setting up the system using nView, the default program that comes with the nVIDIA drivers.

I now have a new computer, with an "nVIDIA 7600 GS" PCI-E card from Zogis. The new PC didn't arrive with the DVI to VGA adapter like the 6800 shipped with, but I figured the DVI to VGA adapter is the same no matter the card, and I hooked my monitors up to my new PC, only to find that the DVI output doesn't. I'm unsure if the DVI isn't sending out any information at all, or if the adapter could be a problem, because I don't have a monitor in the house that is native DVI.

The second monitor never displays a thing, not even during startup, whereas my old computer would mirror itself on the second screen throughout the process. However, the PC does recognize that a second monitor is there, it just doesn't display to it. (It volunteered to run the multi-monitor display setup wizard, or whatever, and even let me display to the other screen, which caused all kinds of havoc because my working screen was suddenly blacked out, making me have to 'fish' for my display window to undo it.)

Right now, the two problems look to be, more than anything else, either my DVI adapter, or the card itself. The card is two weeks old, so I'd like to think it isn't the card, but it hasn't worked yet. But, ultimately, I'm wondering if my adapter from my old video card will work as my adapter on my new video card.

Chipset: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.40GHZ
HD: 250GB SATA II 3.GB 7200RPM 8MB
Case/Power: BLACK X-DISCOVER MID 420W WINDOW
MotherBoard: C2D ASUS P5NSLI NFORCE 570 SLI
Sound: ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
Display:ZOGIS NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600GS 512MB
RAM: 2x512 MB DDR2 PC 6400 MEMORY
ECarlson   2007-01-21 03:49
It's possible, but unlikely that the DVI port on the new video card is DVI-D only, meaning it has no analog capabilities (DVI-I has both analog and digital, and is more common on video cards, and is required if you want to use a DVI-VGA adapter).

It is possible that the card is bad, and it is also possible that some pins got bent on the adapter or on the VGA cable on your second monitor.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
RufusD   2007-01-21 07:20
Thanks. I'll test the pins by booting up my old PC, and if that doesn't work, I'll complain about a defective card. The female seems to be a DVI-I input, and they don't say DVI-D anywhere on the manufacturer's specs. The card should still be under warranty, thanks again for the possibilities.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> DVI-A adapter not compatible with PCI-E?