Forums -> Multiple monitors -> best performance for three monitors
twixster   2007-01-23 08:10
Here is my problem, i have a 7800 gs agp video card with one dvi and one vga port on the back and i have three monitors 2 17" LCD panels that do 1280 x 1024 and one 22" lcd widescreen panel that does 1680 x 1050. What I would like is to get the best graphics performance out of my 22" lcd and run my 17's as well. So, what i am thinking is that i need to run just my 22" off of my 7800 gs agp card and then run my 17's off of a pci graphics card but i don't know if it will make a difference or not. The card i was looking at to do this is the x1300 PCI graphics card with dual DVI so that all my monitors can take advantage of the DVI ports that they have. However, i don't know if everything is going to play well with each other or not.

The complex issue for me is that i am going to start running linux on my machine for some things instead of windows xp.

Please if anyone can help me with this i would be very thankful. I have never had the opportunity to run 3 monitors before so i don't really know what to do. Anything that you guys could tell me would be helpful i am sure. Anyway, thank you for your help in advance.
David DeRolph   2007-01-25 04:24
I think I would run one of the 17" monitors off your primary card and look for a fairly inexpensive PCI card to just run one monitor. If you're just doing some word processing, email, etc.on the monitor, I don't think it's going to make a noticeable difference in the performance on your 22" monitor.

But, you might tell us more about what you do with your computer that makes you want the best performance possible for your main monitor. Is it gaming?
twixster   2007-01-25 06:38
On my primary monitor I do play games like Half Life 2 and Guild Wars. I do not span my games onto my other monitors. The only thing that i might put on my 17' monitors that is the slightest bit intensive are movies. Everything else that will be on my 17's are things like a browsers here or there, a pallet for a program here, instant messaging, winamp, itunes. Nothing that really requires a large amount of ump. My other question is, will i get better performance on my large monitor by having both of my 17's on another card? I also don't know which card might be a good card to buy to run either the other monitor or both. I hope this helps you help me.
David DeRolph   2007-01-27 07:36
Not much else to say. Since you seem to be concerned about the possibility that having one of the 17 inch monitors connected to your primary video card, perhaps you should just plan on getting a PCI card that will support two monitors.

If your 17 monitors will work on a VGA port, I believe you have numerous choices, such as the offerings from http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=319

Some of the cards that have VGA and DVI ports should do the job. If necessary, you can get a DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect monitor VGA cable to that DVI port. Even a card with 64MB will adequately support two 17 inch monitors for the uses you mentioned.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> best performance for three monitors