Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Three monitor setup
Ak Eriksson   2007-02-19 12:53
My client wants to have three monitors: the first and second are an extended desktop and the third is a clone of the first (for customers to view).

Is this possible?

Thank you,
Al Eriksson
Peter   2007-02-20 03:34
By 'clone of the first' do you mean 'a clone of the spanned desktop' or 'a clone of the first monitor that is half of the spanned desktop'?

If you mean the second case, it's easy : buy a suitable dual head card and set it up to do cloning. Now buy a compatible second one and use it to extend the desktop.
ECarlson   2007-02-20 11:38
Or use a Y-adapter on the first output.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Al Eriksson   2007-02-22 07:59
Hi Peter and Eric -

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My client wants "a clone of the first monitor that is half of the spanned desktop".

My client has two monitors in cloned mode now.

Eric's comment is intriguing - can I get away with the existing dual output card and use a Y-adapter on the first output?

I guess no additional software would be needed. Is that correct?

Thanks! -Al-
ECarlson   2007-02-23 13:37
The Y-adapter should work, unless the card has a problem detecting the monitors with two attached to one port. You can also get an active splitter, which is essentially an electronic Y-adapter, if you have problems with the simple Y-adapter. Of course, the 2 monitors on the Y-adapter will have to be able to handle the same display setting (resolution and refresh rate).

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Al Eriksson   2007-02-27 01:05
Thanks Eric! I'll give it a try.

-Al-
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Three monitor setup