Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Specific Ultramon HotKey Features Using 3 Monitors
Todd Beaver   2007-02-20 07:40
I am getting ready to specify and install a new computer for our church. It will be running Vista Business. We need to take advantage of Vista's multi-monitor support. It will be used to provide video and powerpoint presentations to two projectors, in addition to a desktop lcd monitor. I intend on purchasing a quad output video card.

I have read the posts about having to use the same WDDM driver for all video outputs in order to do multi-monitor in Vista. That is why I am having to purchase a quad video card, since I am driving 3 separate outputs. Otherwise, I would use the motherboard VGA for the desktop monitor, and a dual channel video card for the two projectors. But as I understand it, that will not work in Vista unless both the MB and video card use the same chipset and same WDDM driver.

Using the 3 outputs of the quad video card. The desktop lcd monitor on Output 1. The two projectors on Outputs 2 & 3 respectively. I need to be able to do the following. Please advise if UltraMon will allow this capability.

1. Have 3 different outputs going to Outputs 1, 2 and 3. Then use a hotkey to toggle Output 1 between what is on Output 1, 2 or 3. The application would be to have the OS desktop on the desktop monitor, a powerpoint presentation on projector A, and a video on projector B. Then use a hotkey to toggle the desktop monitor between the OS desktop, projector A and projector B.

2. Have output 2 and 3 mirrored, showing the same output, then use a hotkey to toggle output 1 between the OS desktop and the mirrored output on output 2 and 3.

3. Any suggestions for a good quad video card for this application? Or would I be better to install two dual head cards?

Todd Beaver
Christian Studer   2007-02-20 08:37
This is only a requirement if you want to use the Aero theme, the Vista Basic theme doesn't require that all cards use the same WDDM driver.

1) UltraMon doesn't support this.

2) mirroring would be possible, but the mirroring feature currently doesn't work on Vista.

3) ATI, Matrox and Nvidia have quad cards.

I recently tried an ATI FireMV 2400 PCIe, but couldn't get it working properly in my Dell Precision 470, according to ATI it's an issue with the Dell BIOS.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Todd Beaver   2007-02-20 10:09
Thank you. I forgot about the main need for the WDDM driver was Aero support. I don't need Aero, so I can get by with one dual head card, plus the motherboard VGA.

It looks like the only way I can do item #1 is in hardware with a 3 port KVM switch. Then I can use a hotkey to toggle the desktop lcd between any one of the 3 outputs.

Getting ready to put a 2nd monitor on my home machine. I will definately be getting UltraMon for that. Thanks again!

Todd Beaver
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Specific Ultramon HotKey Features Using 3 Monitors