Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with ATI Rage IIc (AGP) & S3 Virge DX (PCI) on Win2k
cerb   2001-09-04 11:17
Decided to bring my PCI S3 Virge DX to work and set up dual monitors here, but I have had nothing but troubles.

When I first installed the Virge, I couldn't browse the network and my sound card began playing a sound repeatedly. Decided immediately that it was most likely an irq conflict, so I moved the card to a different slot.

Device Manager still showed an "!" beside the Virge, and I was not given any options to extend the windows desktop in the Display Properties.

I have tested both cards separately and they both work just fine.

When they are both installed I get the following situations:
1. With PCI as primary in BIOS, Windows appears to ignore the ATI totally - it's in the Device Manager, but I still don't get an option to extend the desktop
2. With AGP as primary in BIOS, Windows shows the "!" icon next to the Virge in the Device Manager.

One thing I have noticed is that when the system starts up and displays the irq listing, there's only one entry for "Display Device". I have tried every spare PCI slot and this does not change.

Oh, one last thing - because this is work's PC then I won't really be able to do a re-install of Win2k (although the pc probably could do with it)

System specs:
PIII-650
128meg ram
AOpen AX63Pro mobo
some crap sound card (I think maybe Aopen)
AOpen (I think) network card
Win2k Pro with SP2
cerb   2001-09-04 13:42
Never mind. I read the FAQ here and decided that it wasn't worth any further effort to try and get them running, because it sounds like it's not possible to get these two cards cooperating with each other.

I wish I had the cash to upgrade my home system so I could bring my G400 DualHead to work. Much easier. :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with ATI Rage IIc (AGP) & S3 Virge DX (PCI) on Win2k