Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can it be built? The 10 headed moni-ster?
Matt   2007-03-14 20:54
Here is a question for all: I am trying to figure out a way to have 10 screens for a game show that would show each contestants individual score. Is it possible to have 10 monitors hooked into a single laptop or desktop computer and have the individual monitors show a contestants score? I know that a vga splitter will deal with the multi monitor issue but how does one control individual scores on each monitor.
Peter   2007-03-15 02:10
Sure - it's not a problem, but may cost you a bit. The most obvious solution is to use a PCI-e or PCI quad or 8 port monitor card, with another two port card.

Hopefully you don't want 3D acceleration on that; multiport cards aren't designed for that.

The messy alternative is a number of PCI-e or PCI dualhead cards, but you're more likely to run into compatibility issues.
Matt   2007-03-15 14:08
Thanks for the info regarding hardware. What kind of software would I require to be able to manipulate the individual images on the 10 monitors? The software (or main control) is what really confuses me.
Cheers!
Peter   2007-03-15 21:32
You would either have to write that yourself, or use monitor management software (built into graphics cards, Ultramon or whatever) to tie a program to each monitor.
Tyler   2007-03-20 15:10
if you used vga splitters to span one desktop over 10 you could create a image that was split into ten pieces that fit into one screen then would be spread equally across the ten moniters, this is assuming you want still images for your gameshow. its not elegant but its cheap.

P.S. i would asuming you could do something similiar to the above with photoshop or an edited movie if need be but might be too much work.
Brook   2007-03-29 03:17
If you can get a hold of one, Colorgraphic used to make an 8 head ATI Radeon PCI card. That and another 2 head ATI would do it. Other than that, there are plenty of 4 head cards like the NVidia Quadro.

I run an 8 monitor system. Usually I dedicate one monitor to mirror the others, so that I can switch it to whatever monitor I want to manipulate. This is especially useful in my case since some of the monitors are in another room.

Brook
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can it be built? The 10 headed moni-ster?