Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP + PCIe
GK   2007-03-20 16:56
I just got this sweet new rig with PCIe Nvidia Gfx card. It's got DVI and VGA out, so I've got 2 monitors hooked up right now. However, my old computer had an AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5700, and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. Is there any way at all to use it? On my mobo I have the vidcard PCIe slot, a few of the tiny (1x) PCIe slots, and some normal PCI slots. I swear someone would make a killing off of some PCI/PCIe/AGP adapter production for the next few years until everything is fully converted to PCIe
Peter   2007-03-21 01:14
Nope. AGP is a dead end. There are boards with PCI-e and AGP, but I don't believe you can run them both at the same time.
NelD   2007-03-21 03:29
I have a asrock 939Dual-VSTA with both AGP and PCIe and according to the manual I could use both at the same time ( dont have a PCIe to test with )
wilson   2007-04-01 05:51
ASRock,com make the 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard which supports up to the Quad core Intel Core 2 CPUs with its 775 socket. The board sells for about US$65

4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard

It has both an AGP and PCI-Express slot and CAN USE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. It uses the Via 880 Ultra Chipset to do this. See the via.com.tw website for full details. Go to chipsets and they have a full explanation.

ASRock is part of ASUS but the ASUS equivalent board has less features. The only negative is that it takes the SATA 150 drives only. It takes either ( not both) DDR2 667 or DDR 400 memory ( 2 slots) and is fully Vista 64 compliant and Vista Premium Ready.

I would like to hear from anyone that uses this motherboard with 2 - 2 headed video cards with 256MB memory each running Vista 32 or Vista 64 and UltraMonitor. That totals 4 monitors ( or 3 plus the TV as the 4th)

Wilson
wilson   2007-04-01 05:58
If you are examining the AS Rock 4CoreDual-VSTA make sure you look at their

AS Rock VGA support list PCI Express Cards

It's probably a good idea to stick with either ATI cards or Nvidia in both slots and use only supported tested cards from the list.

Wilson
Pete   2007-04-02 14:10
Yep you sure can with the 939 Dual sata. I got my board back in October and have been running with a G6 6800 in the agp slot as my main monitor and a 6600 in the Pcie slot for my 2nd and 3rd monitors. I was surprised that the whole thing worked as nicely as it has, its a damn shame that Nvidia killed off ULI the way it did.
illusivereality   2007-09-26 13:43
Befor my current MOBO w/ 3 PCIe 16X I was running a board still in my showcase that has i AGP 1 PCIe and 4 PCI I had 4 cards running a ATI AIW 9600xt in the AGP an x1300 in the PCIe and 2 5200 in the PCI slots it was tricky but I had the BIOS boot to the PCI first loaded all the drivers then Swiched to the AGP as primary it was the only way to get the TV to work.

Mike
ali   2007-09-28 14:15
yes , asrock has boards with both the agp and pci-e slots and yes both can work at the same time but the limit is u may use one brand in both meaning either both nvidia or both ati and this worked and going well , but if u use one ati and one nvidia this is still to be worked on to see if it work or not but so far it doesnot work
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP + PCIe