Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with dual monitor setup
Martin   2007-03-24 09:24
Thanks in advance

I have checked a lot of posting on this forum and can not figure out the answer for my situation (most of the question are for advanced setup). My situation is simple. I have two DELL 1800FP LCD monitor (each has a resolution of 1280X1024). I would like to purchase a video card that can support two monitors and allow me to move applications from one minitor to the other (so I guess the resolution is 2560 X 1024 ?)

My PC is a dell 8250, AGP slot so I have to buy an AGP card that support this, the cheaper the better. Do I need a VGA->DVI coverting cable? Should I use DVI input both both monitring or VGA input?
Martin   2007-03-24 09:26
Sorry, If anyone can suggest which Video card that will be great. Below are my PC's spec

DELL 8250
512MB RDRAM
Pentium 2.4GHZ
Windows XP Home

Thanks
Josh   2007-03-24 17:36
Just go to any computer store in your area and ask to look at their AGP video cards. Most stores arn't goign to have all that many to pick from anymore. Now your odds are pretty good that every single card they show you will have dual head support (which is what you need to run two monitors). Of course this will vary from store to store as some are better at keeping older style cards in stock.

Basicly just ask for their cheapest duel head AGP video card. The price for the card should easily come in under $100.

As for the DVI part of your question. Odds are yes you'll need a DVI to VGA adapter if you plan to plug it in via VGA. Although on the bright side you most likely won't have to worry about this. Pretty much any video card that comes with a DVI port on the back also comes with a DVI to VGA converter. But double check this at the time of purchase.
David DeRolph   2007-03-25 02:53
Martin, your resolution is not 2560x1024; it's 1280x1024 on each monitor.
ecarlson   2007-03-25 10:22
Pretty much any inexpensive dual-out VGA card will support that. The most common port configuration on an inexpensive dual out card is one VGA and one DVI-I (Digital + Analog) connector. If the card you get is like that, then you can either connect both monitors via VGA (using a DVI-VGA adapter on the DVI-I port), or connect one by VGA and one by DVI (DVI is preferred if your monitor supports DVI). If both monitors support DVI, then it would be ideal to run them both via DVI, though a dual DVI card will probably be in a slightly higher price/performance range than a VGA + DVI-I card.

NewEgg has hundreds of video cards, with AGP VGA + DVI cards starting around $32 + $5 shipping, and AGP dual-DVI cards starting around $89 + $6 shipping. Of course, with the price increase, you also usually get a performance increase.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Wasz   2007-03-30 01:38
I'm using two Acerview CRTs (only) with a GeForce 6200 on XP Pro SP2.I can only toggle the desktop between displays.Any advice on how to get both displays with extended desktop?
CD drivers modified 6/1/2006.
TIA,Wasz

tomata
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with dual monitor setup