Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors 1 AGP card 2 PCI cards - possible?
Defenestrator   2007-03-30 16:58
I've got a few spare monitors and a few spare PCI graphics cards (ancient S3 Trio64+ cards) and I want to set up a three monitor system. (which is a Pentium 4 running Windows XP)

Currently I've got two monitors working without problem, the primary monitor is run by an AGP Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 and the secondary on a PCI S3 Trio64.

I have a second S3 Trio 64 card plugged in, which I have verified as working, unfortunately the second PCI card has an error, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

If I have only one PCI graphics card in, that card works. I've tried various combinations and have verified that by themselves all the PCI graphics cards work in all the PCI slots, but when I install two together the second one doesn't function and I get the above error message.

Am I trying to do something impossible, namely you cannot run two PCI graphics cards at once, or is there something I can mess with in the BIOS or whatever that will enable me to get the second PCI card working so I can run my three monitors?
ecarlson   2007-04-01 05:47
A lot of older PCI cards required that they be the primary card in BIOS to function with Windows 2000/XP, and therefore you could only use one of that type of PCI card, since only one could be primary in BIOS (they could be set as secondary in Windows, but had to be primary in BIOS).

There are PCI cards that don't care if they are first in BIOS, and they can be used as additional non-BIOS-primary cards, but it sounds like the PCI cards you have are the type that must be BIOS-primary.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
David DeRolph   2007-04-01 07:37
You might pick up some card(s) on ebay such as http://cgi.ebay.com/JATON-MX440-8X-GEFORCE-4-PCI-64-MB-VIDEO-CARD_W0QQitemZ190098067761QQcategoryZ40161QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD9VQQcmdZViewItem

I've had three monitors running with 3 video cards, 1 AGP and 2 PCI, all nVidia cards.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors 1 AGP card 2 PCI cards - possible?