Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP+PCI VS AGP+MaxiVista
Kambiz   2007-03-31 03:01
Hi

I use two monitor with nVidia FX5200 and use MaxiVista to connect to my old computer so I can have 3 monitors.

I wonder if it is better to use just one computer with AGP+PCI, 3 monitors or use 2 compuers with two cards+ Maxivista.

Is it diffcult to install PCI when I have AGP? Does it slow the system?

Thanks for any help

(do not have PCIe)
ecarlson   2007-04-01 05:59
I would think that putting your 3rd monitor on a PCI card would have better performance than using MaxiVista. Adding the PCI card will not slow down any of your existing system (unless there is a conflict, but that is rare).

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
wilson   2007-04-01 06:12
I use a PCI card ( not to be confused with a PCI-Express) video card with my AGP card .

You may have to go into your bios and tell it to boot with the PCI card. The AGP will then start to work automatically after booting. I use Ultra Monitor with this setup and it works great.

The problem arises when you use 2 old PCI cards which may have hardware problem since the old one weren't flexible in using different interrupts and other hardware related stuff way back.

Your 5200 is too low spec to work with Vista.

I did find only a couple of PCI cards that had at least 128MB and met all the other Vista requirements for Aero.

Wilson
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP+PCI VS AGP+MaxiVista