Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell laptop lcd + two external monitor issues
Matt   2007-04-09 02:08
I'm using Dell Latitude D8xx series laptops (D800, D810 and D820) in conjunction with the Dell PD01X D/Dock Docking station (with ATI FiveMV 2200 PCI video card). The end result I am going for is being able to use the laptop lcd and two external monitors, in the easiest/most straightforward way possible (for end users).

So far, I have found only one way to achieve this goal: boot the laptop first, then dock (which forces the user to re-login after docking); then, open Windows display propertes and "attach" the 2 external monitors. If I dock first, then boot, I lose the laptop's lcd alltogether. Just curious if anyone else has a similar setup and if there is anything I am missing that could be done to streamline the process.

Thank you in advance,
Matt
paul   2007-04-12 04:41
We have the same hardware setup as you and experienced the same problem. I fixed it by going into the Dell BIOS (make sure that you have the most recent version from Dell's website) and making the onboard video adapter the primary video adapter. By default, the docking station video card was the default and that caused the problem that you experienced. When I made the BIOS change, my laptop screen and the 2 external Dell UltraSharp 19inch flat panels were all usable again. Hope this helps.

Paul
mark   2009-08-10 09:10
i'm trying to achieve two external monitors and the laptop LCD panel active at once. I have the same setup except my laptop video card is a ATI X600. I only can get the two monitors to run but not the laptop screen. Any ideas?
Christian Studer   2009-08-10 09:56
You would need an additional video card (PCMCIA or USB), the laptop only supports two monitors at a time.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
mark   2009-08-10 12:02
THanks for the info. How did the first two postees get this scenario to work? it wasn't clear to me if they had an additional video card.
Christian Studer   2009-08-11 07:52
Both seem to have a video card in the docking station, that should also work fine.

Mary   2009-08-13 06:46
I have a HP dv-1245dx laptop plus two monitors. I have one monitor plugged in as a standard monitor and the other using the dvi/hdmi input. I can choose any two of the three to run, but not all three at the same time. Is there a way that ultramon can override this? I am running vista btw.

Right clicking the UltraMon app only shows the monitor and laptop. The Desktop Graphics Options Output to --> Shows Monitor, Digital display and Notebook. I need/want to have all three working as an extended desktop.

Any help is appreciate as the reason I chose this laptop was because i thought I could achieve 3 screen flexibility. THANKS!
Christian Studer   2009-08-13 09:28
UltraMon can't help with this, you would need an additional video card.

Tjkangol   2011-04-30 09:31
I have a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010) laptop, Windows 7 & ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card and i have two external monitors i want connect and run (in total having 3 viewable moniters) How can i achieve this? it only allows me to run any two at a time via windows Display settings.

I have A Dell 23" - ST2320L & Acer 19" - AL1916W

Someone please help me...
Tjkangol   2011-04-30 09:32
oals..i Have the Dell monitor via HDMI & The Acer monitor via VGA
Bill   2011-05-29 16:08
Using Sony Vaio N250N. Would like to run 3 monitors. Using external USB keyboard and mouse. Is USB video card the way to go? Can you use a USB hub?

Promotional Pens
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell laptop lcd + two external monitor issues