Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Vista multimonitor setup question
pillar   2007-04-10 02:58
I hope someone here can shed some light to this question. I have asked all around, but have yet to have a definite answer.

I have an Asus P5B-Deluxe motherboard and Ati x1950pro pci-express display adapter. I've had Ati 9250 pco-card as my secondary adapter. I have 2 lcd's and a projector attached.

Now that I'm making the switch to Vista, Ati 9250 pci is not supported anymore, so I have to make a switch. I do want to use Aero.

The problem is what display adapter would work as a secondary card? P5B-Deluxe has another full length pci-express port, but only works as X4 speed. I tried Ati x300, but couldn't get it working. I don't have unlimited money, so I would like to know what would work for sure. Does it have to be another x1950pro? I do not wish to run crossfire.

Thank you for your help.
Anla-shok   2007-04-10 06:45
Get a PCI card that IS vista capable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103016
pillar   2007-04-12 06:37
That could be an answer. I'm still pondering if there is a chance to have all PCIe solution? I read elsewhere that on PCI -bus Aero is not performing so well. Can someone confirm that? Or should I just go ahead and buy the x1300 PCI?
pillar   2007-04-16 20:28
Please, does someone have more information on this issue? From another thread I found evidence that buying PCI X1300 would not be a good solution for running a third monitor. So is it possible for me to get two PCI-e display adapters working on Asus P5B-Deluxe. Here is a the quote:

-----------------------------------------

Same problem here with an ATI 1800XT PCIe and an ATI 1300 PCI. 3rd and 4th screens running on the 1300 lag badly. The setup worked well under XP but is not usable with Vista. Any idea if this a driver problem or an O/S problem?

Law James 2007-02-10 02:31 Most probably Vista, i just tried turning off all the fancy effects and putting the theme to Windows Classic and...wow everythings so fast!
It feels just as fast as XP now, and i can easily drag windows media player into the 3rd screen and turn on music visulisations with no lag.
Only downside, windows looks damn ugly!

BenB 2007-02-11 10:43 PCI is likely to blame. I was informed the bandwidth PCI is able to pass does not lend itself well to the DX9 power needed to drive Aero. The same would likely happen if attempting to do much more than traditional 2D display and that is where Aero hurts it.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Vista multimonitor setup question