Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Unable to configure my Projector as a second monitor on DVI port
Namwar   2007-05-03 09:11
Hi,
I have nVidia GeForceFx5600XT Graphic card with 128MB RAM. It has one VGA and one DVI port. I have connected my normal TFT monitor on VGA port which is working fine. When I tried to connect my projector as a second monitor by using DVI to component adapter, I am not getting any picture on projector but my TFT is working fine.
I tried it on XP,Windows 2003 and Vista Ultimate too but same result.
My nVidia recognizes the second monitor and allows me to set resolution seprately but there is no picture on projector. I have searched on internet and found some hints like DVI to Component adapter is not compatible with nVidia etc. etc. but now specific answer.
Please guide me how can I resolve it?

Namwar
www.namwarrizvi.com
Miles   2007-05-07 18:02
Well, they are correct, that adapter is probably not very compatible unless the card specifically mentions it in the manual, with pictures and a connection guide. If you can get the part # you can download a manual from the manufacturer.

The reasons are varied, but I would need more information about your projector.

Does your projector not have a VGA or DVI port? Does it have 3 or 5 connectors labeled RGB and H/V?

Basically the real reason to use an Component adaptor is to make Y/Pr/Pb component, and the DVI/VGA adapter would likely only make R/G/B component (see wikipedia for an explanation of the difference).

You should be looking for an S-Video connector with 7 holes in it, either a regular 4-pin s-video or an HD adaptor that has 7-pins will plug into it, the HD will split into Y/Pr/Pb cables or a box and also maybe have regular video and S-video on it.
Namwar Rizvi   2007-05-07 21:22
Thanks for the detailed reply. I tried DVI to VGA adapter because my projector does not have DVI input but has a VGA input. It is working fine now and I am able to use my projector as a second monitor.

Thanks again and cheers,
Namwar Rizvi
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Unable to configure my Projector as a second monitor on DVI port