Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 to 8 screens
glenneroo   2007-05-08 06:08
Read thoroughly through the forums, can't find anything relating to multiple screens running in 3D in particular. Here's my issue:

I want to run ArKaos (VJ software) to project movies in super high resolution to projectors @ PAL resolution i.e. 720 x 576. ArKaos can also take advantage of Shaders (2.0) and does its rendering in full-screen 3D. It also lets you define the resolution of the output device, so e.g. with Matrox Triplehead2go (tested last week) with 3 screens running @ 2400 x 600, i had the 2nd head running the user interface.

Now i need more screens, so i need a 2nd card... (btw i've got a 8800 GTS right now)... i tried a friend's 7900 GT and a couple different PCI cards (matrox dual head G450 and old S3 Trident) and neither worked. The 7900 didn't work, prolly coz the drivers were different from 8800, and the PCI cards didn't work for whatever reason.

So now here's what i need to be able to do (note: all configurations need 1 port free for user interface!) >>

- 2 screens : Dualhead2go
- 3 screens : Triplehead2go
- 4+ screens : uh oh...

If i put a 2nd 8800 GTS in there, and put some more dual/triplehead2gos on, can i span cards? I want to create 1 large area for fullscreen 3D mode: 5760 x 576 ... so two Tripleheads and one Dualhead, leaving the 1 port of course open for the user interface.

I've thought about Quadro cards with 4 outputs, but i hear they do 3D pretty bad... even though they support shaders, i can't just plunk down $1,000 on a card and try it out, especially since no vendors have the card in stock, so they have to order it, and returning it will be a pain in the you know what.... :/

ANY advice greatly appreciated :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 to 8 screens