Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Computer lock ups with multiple monitors
Frederick Bartle   2001-09-25 18:27
Hi
I have just recently tried to set up multiple monitors with my computer with not much luck. I can get both cards installed and both monitors are working (I am able to move between them) but the minute i start moving windows and icons it locks up, forcing a hard reboot. I am using Windows 2000 and have tried with both SP1 and SP2. My computer:
Athlon 1.33Ghz Iwill KK266-R w/ latest bios revisions
Creative Labs Geforce2 GTS (AGP) Dell 1226H 19inch
Inno3d Geforce2 MX (PCI) Dell 15inch
I have tried both nVidia 12.41 drivers as well as the new 21.81. Just to note, i do all but one of my pci slots filled. Could this be related to devices having problems with interrupts? I have tried removing unneccessary cards but without a change.
Right now i am using the dual monitor set up. But if I were to move a browser window to the secondary monitor it locks up. I have very little indication of what might be wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
-Fred
Almghty   2001-09-25 18:32
Dont use PCI 1 ..thats all I can think of for now

So use any other slot BUT the one closeset to the AGP.
Frederick Bartle   2001-09-25 18:49
Hey thanks
I tried that solution putting the pci card 3 slots away from the agp card and leaving the pci slot thats immediately below the agp card empty.
Unfortunately that was unsuccessful.
I thank your for your help.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks again.
-Fred
qwertz   2001-10-04 08:26
hi fred...

i have exactly the same problem. i'm using a AGP gforce2 as first and a riva tnt2 m40 as second card. might be a problem that both cards are using the same drivers? i just can't think of a solution for this problem. but seems like a common problem, so there should be someone out there, who knows a solution for it... please help us.
DK   2001-10-04 11:40
Try using clean install software, that completely deletes the old drivers. I have a nvidia geforce twinview card that is pci. My computer came with a geforce 2mx card originally and it wasn't until I used the clean install software that I was able to install the nvidia driver for the twinview even though both cards can use the same driver. Its an idea anyway!
badsektor   2001-10-06 03:12
I have that problem myself, the only solution i have is to boot into win2k, making sure you dont move the mouse cursor onto the 2nd monitor, login, and then go to the display properties, change and revert the resolution on the 2ndary monitor so it refreshes the display. After that operation should be normal until the next reboot.

One other option is to drag some icons onto the other monitor before rebooting, that way when you login the icons come up on both monitors, refreshing them both.

(This is not a problem for me as my system usually stays on weeks at a time, so repeating this process is not as strenuous)

The cards im using is a Geforce DDR (v6800) and a 16Mb banshee.
David DeCristoforo   2001-10-07 05:09
You might want to check and see if there are any later driver versions or VIA drivers available. Over the years, I have had many problems with hardware compatibility with the VIA chipsets. Finally went back to an Intel system so I could use Intel chipsets. most of the "tweaky" problems vanished. Also, I have never had much luck using a RivaTNT as a secondary regardless of which slot it was in. Currently using Radeon 64 AGP as primary and Radeon 32 PCI as secondary with an Abit TH72 and 1.5G P4 running W2K SP2. No problems of any kind.
DD
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Computer lock ups with multiple monitors