Forums -> Multiple monitors -> More RAM vs. new video cards (to watch movies)
Buss in HK   2007-07-18 21:18
I have a problem that I think others have encountered.

I have a 5 monitor, portrait setup (1024x1280), 3 video cards (GEFORCE 5200 - 128 mb ram each), 2 gb RAM, under Vista, and just added a 6th monitor in landscape mode (1680x1050). CPU is Intel Core Duo 6400.

When I try to watch movies on the 6th monitor (1680x1050) the movies are herky-jerky -- obviously the strain is too much. If I make the video image small, no problem, but that defeats purpose of the landscape monitor.

WILL ADDING ANOTHER 2 GB OF RAM SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT IT MIGHT. I dont want to replace all of the video cards.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

CHEERS
ecarlson   2007-07-20 11:58
It doesn't sound like a memory issue, since a video player shouldn't take all that much memory. You can check how much memory is being used in Task Manager.

Sounds like it could be that the video player is not able to use a hardware overlay on the video card, so it has to render the video via software, which would take a hit on CPU usage. You can check CPU usage too in Task Manager.

If you can get your video player software to use a hardware overlay, that could help. Another option is to try a few video players, since some are much more efficient than others at using your computer's resources. A few players to try have been mentioned in this forums by other people.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> More RAM vs. new video cards (to watch movies)