Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor numbering issue and slow second card
Richard   2007-08-15 05:00
Hi

I today added a second PCI card to my computer to complement the Matrox P650 64MB I already had and to gain a third screen. The second card is a Sapphire Radeon ATI 7000 with 64MB.

Problem one is that the third screen (on the Radeon) is much slower to re-draw than the other two (which are on the Matrox). For instance, when minimizing and maximising IE you can see the screen draw whereas it is instant on the other two. Similarly, when dragging windows you can see the lag. Both cards have 64MB so I don't get it. Has anyone ever seen this before?

The second problem is that the numbering of the monitors is weird. In "Display properties > settings" the screens run left to right as follows:

1. P650 primary
4. P650 secondary
2. Radeon
3. (not in use, but says Radeon)

This isn't a problem in theory, but it means that the "move to monitor" Ultramon button shows "1,4,2" (and three greyed out) rather than "1,2,3" which is not ideal. I have searched this forum and the web but cannot find any reference to this problem, nor any notes on how to re-number the screens.

Thanks for reading all of this, if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Richard
Christian Studer   2007-08-15 09:34
To fix the UltraMon issue, go to UltraMon Options > Ignored Monitors and ignore the unused monitor.

UltraMon will then renumber the monitors. This only affects UltraMon though, other applications will still use the real monitor numbers.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Richard   2007-08-16 06:35
Thanks for that. Now the monitors are numbered

1,3,2 rather than 1,2,3

Has anyone ever seen this before?
Christian Studer   2007-08-16 09:42
This is normal, monitor 4 will become #3 if you ignore the 3rd monitor.

UltraMon doesn't support completely changing the monitor numbering, what you could do is changing the cabling, connecting a monitor to a different port of the video card will give it a different number.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor numbering issue and slow second card