Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Vista, 2 cards, 3 monitors?
Gooch   2007-08-29 03:36
I've been using a setup with 2 graphics cards to drive 3 monitors for some time now. In XP, I am doing this by using an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS as the main card (to drive 2 monitors) and an old GeForce MX 4000 to drive the 3 rd monitor. This works fine.

The problem is that when I boot into Vista, it does not recognize the MX 4000. I tried using the 8800 GTS as the main card with a GeForce 6800 as the second card. With the latest drivers, I have this working under Vista...almost.

The problem is that whenever I launch an app that uses openGL, the app will fail to start. If I turn off "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" for the second card, the 3D apps will run properly. So there seems to be a conflict between the second card and openGL.

So there are a few things I can try:

1) Does anybody know of a driver that would allow Vista to work with the old MX 4000?

2) Is there a way to disable openGL on a graphics card?

3) Does anyone know of a cheap graphics card for the PCIe slot that does not have openGL?

Any help appreciated!
gcdryden   2007-08-29 15:43
1) the mx4000 card might be to old for Vista, since Vista is a) a resource hog b)graphically demanding

2) you should be able to by going to the Direct X diagnostic by entering dxdiag in the run command and clicking on the appropiate tab

3) all cards run openGL now, atleast as much as I know
Gooch   2007-08-30 03:32
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like dxdiag will let me turn anything off on that second card.
Jeremy   2007-08-30 04:45
Hey, I just so happened to see this post when I was looking through the forums. I just set up nearly an identical setup with the two NVIDIA cards supporting three monitors and I installed this hotfix from MS before I attached the third monitor. It sounds like a very similar problem. Try it out and let me know if it works:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710
illusivereality   2007-09-26 13:37
Your problem is with Drivers and WDDM your MX400 youses diferant drivers you need the same driver set as the 8800 use another 8xxx card a low end one should work fine. but you may have rendering problems with a 4th monitor.

Mike
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Vista, 2 cards, 3 monitors?