Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple Monitors on Inspiron 9400
unit107   2007-10-16 13:42
I have been trying for some time now to find a low-cost solution to run 2(or 3) external wide-screen monitors (minimum 1680 x 1040) + Internal laptop monitor on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 graphics card).

So far, I can only find high-end solutions (digital tigers, cinemassive, and Magma ExpressBox + video card; all $1000+ solutions). The others expressed here (VTBook, TripleHead2Go, PCMCIA or USB cards) will not support the resolution I am looking for and do not seem like viable solutions. In addition, there are no viable docking stations for the 9400(e1705) that would support an external video card, and any other docking station I have seen with external video will not support this resolution.

I need my work station mobile, but want the a three monitor (3 DELL 20" widescreens all at 1680x1040) while connected in the office, and I can live with a single external monitor while at home (Right now I am living with it both places).

I was wondering if anyone has successfully implemented a multimonitor solution spanning over 2 PCs (specifically a laptop and desktop) allowing for "true" drag-drop capability? I have a fairly decent desktop that can be repurposed, and was thinking of adding a Multi-Head video card to this desktop and attaching the 3 external monitors to this machine. Then using software and/or hardware to span the laptop over the three monitors + the internal laptop monitor. The laptop would be the controlling device in this senerio, with the desktop really acting like nothing more than an external PCI video device, and maybe some file storage, but not really running any application.

Does this sound like a viable solution to anyone, and if so do you have any advice on how I can achieve this senerio?

Has anyone turned an old PC into an external video device and used UltraMon, MaxVista or any other tool to achieve a "true" multi-monitor senerio?

Thanks

Mark
Christian Studer   2007-10-17 09:31
MaxiVista will do this, the laptop will treat the monitors connected to the desktop just like regular local monitors.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple Monitors on Inspiron 9400