Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors in portrait mode
jimbowley   2007-10-24 11:15
Hi,
Some monitors let you rotate them from landscape to portrait (and the picture re-orients).

Is it possible to have 3 of these working together? I don't want to stretch things across all monitors, each will be displaying different programs.

I have in mind 1280x1024 monitors, to give me 1280 vertical resolution.

Any help appreciated.
ecarlson   2007-10-24 12:53
Yes.

Just make sure the video cards' software supports rotation, or use a 3rd party rotation program if it doesn't. I think all NVidias have included rotation support in their software, and higher end Matrox cards. I don't know about ATI cards since I don't have any modern ATI cards.

You might have to manually set the rotation for each monitors, unless the monitors support rotation detection, and have the right software installed to auto-detect the rotation, but since it sounds like you won't be changing the orientation back and forth, this shouldn't matter, since you will only have to make the change once.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
jimbowley   2007-10-24 18:28
Great, you have made me happy.

Do you recommend DVI? I'm thinking of samsung SM904N because it is cheap (I need to check if it rotates) but it is VGA input.

I am used to a crystal clear 1920x1200 dell laptop.
jimbowley   2007-10-24 23:36
Seems dabs want £185 versus £123 for the non-rotating samsung SM940N which is a bit much.

If I just find a cheap 17" monitor 1280x1024 with thin bezel and DVI inputs, then I think all I need to do is find a way to mount it portrait and then use PivotPro to do the rotation?

Is that right?
ecarlson   2007-10-25 13:00
Yes, most monitors have VESA standard mounts, so it isn't too hard to get another stand(s), or make your own (I think I remember someone here posting photos of a stand they built). You can buy a 3-monitor stand, but they are expensive.

I recommend DVI.

Pivot Pro is fine, but as I indicated, you might not need it, especially if you have NVidia cards since the ability is included in the NVidia software, and also in some Matrox software.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors in portrait mode