Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Primary Monitor / OpenGL Issue.
Hyxodus   2007-11-03 05:33
Slightly long post but I wanted to be very descriptive:

Ok so I have been using UltraMon 2.71 on Windows XP Pro for a while now.

Specs:
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Monitors: NEC MultiSync FE1250+ / Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
Drivers: ATI Catalyst 7.10

Alright so before I decided to reformat the other day, UltraMon was working miracles for me. I could play Counterstrike/Halflife (OpenGL) fullscreen on my primary monitor (NEC hooked up to DVI port with adapter) and watch people chatting on my secondary monitor (Samsung directly attached to VGA port). I could watch a movie full screen on the NEC and a different movie on the Samsung fullscreen at the same time.

Since my DVI adapter doesn't really firmly attach to the DVI port, it was making my primary monitor flicker at times when it would be loose, so I decided to switch the NEC to the VGA, and use the DVI adapter on the Samsung. I also reformatted before switching the monitor cables around due to a HDD issue. Anyways, ever since the reformat, I have reinstalled drivers of different versions at least 12 times, trying to get this to work like it did before. Here is my current issue:

When I boot up my computer, the primary monitor (NEC) shows the startbar and all that good stuff. BUT the OpenGL games only work on the Secondary monitor (Samsung) for whatever reason. If I disable the secondary monitor, the game will play fine on the single monitor. If I switch the primary monitor in the UltraMon, Catalyst, or Windows settings, it does not solve the issue, the OpenGL game will only play on the secondary monitor.

So far, the only workaround I have found, is after rebooting, to switch the monitors from their current port (whether it be VGA or DVI, makes no difference), to the other port, and then switch the displays in the Drivers/UltraMon/Windows as to which is primary, and THEN I can play OpenGL games on either monitor, just like I used to before I reformatted. This solutions only works until I reboot, at which point I will have to swap the cables around again and mess with settings again to make it work.

Any ideas what's going on here? Why does OpenGL only want to work on my extended display until I swap cables around and then it magically works on both?
Christian Studer   2007-11-03 08:37
Sounds like a display driver issue or limitation, UltraMon doesn't get involved with this (that it worked before was not related to UltraMon).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Primary Monitor / OpenGL Issue.