Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 Monitors, 2 video cards, 1 TV Tuner on the second card... help!
Pakaderm   2001-10-10 08:09
Hi,

I'd like advice in setting up a multi-monitor system. Here's my current hardware:

1200 Athlon
GeForce2 Pro (AGP)
512 MB RAM
Windows 2000
17" monitor (main monitor)
17" monitor (extra, not being used)
Old Diamond Video 2 MB graphics card (extra, not being used)
Cable modem/tv
SB Live value (main system)
SB 16 (extra, not in use)

I would really like to watch TV and be on the computer at the same time. Originally, i was just going to buy another TV for that room, but I have this extra 17" monitor so I thought I might hook up a dual monitor setup. I think I'll I would need is to buy a video capture card (thinking ATI Wonder VE) to grab the tv signal and pipe it to the diamond video card on the second monitor. If I was not watching TV, I could have an extended desktop across both monitors. Does this sound like a good solution to this?

If yes, the questions I still have are:
Could I play games on the main monitor (counter-strike) and still have the tv playing on the second monitor?
I assume the sound for both CS and TV would be coming through the speakers at the same time. Could I add another sound card so the game sound would come through one set of speakers and the tv sound from another set?

Any tips from those with experience would be great, or other ideas for me.

-Pakaderm
Mike   2001-10-14 10:47
Your set up is pretty much what i am wanting as well. I want to use my geforce 2 mx to play games and use an old matrox to capture video(and to extend desktop when not in use) I have tried doing this and have beenhaving probs. I can only seem to get both monitors working if i initiaize my matrox first. I i try to initialize my geforce first the matrox does not initialize. I need to disable the matrox to play games on my geforce but i can't disable the primary monitor i need to have my matrox as the secondary monitor. I so far do not have a solution but if you find one can you please mail me!
we-all-wish   2001-12-13 02:03
If you use OPENGL to run CS..forget two monitors at the same time..you have to disable the secondary to play CS in OPENGL..

TV-Tuner cards only work on the PRIMARY video device ie: the first initialised adapter..So once again, problems there..

It's a bit of a doozy..Everyone wants to watch TV/CABLE/DVD on one monitor and do excrutiatingly complex things like play games on the other at the same time..

Unfortunately, in my brief 2 years of multi-monitoring, Every damn device in the universe thinks it's the only one...we have to wait for the hardware boffins of the world to take more acid and dream up a video device that does everything we want..

IRQ resources are another problem...there's just not enough of them..I looked in horror as my "plug and Pray" OS was sharing my Geforce, S3trio PCI video,PCI yamaha sound card all on IRQ 11..and then had the audacity to tell me that IRQ 9 was free????

Enough from me, I'm getting back to wrestling with my device manager :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 Monitors, 2 video cards, 1 TV Tuner on the second card... help!