Forums -> Multiple monitors -> nvidia 7600GT& extended desktop
DanB   2007-12-03 02:59
Windows XP SP2
nvidia 7600GT

I'm trying to figure out if this card can do "extended desktop" instead of only "horizontal span"

Display Properties -> Settings
does not show two devices, only one, so there's no "extend desktop" checkbox.

Unfortunately, I greatly prefer the "extend desktop" behavior over nvidia's "horizontal span" setting.
David DeRolph   2007-12-03 05:53
Yeah, you need to resolve the issue of not seeing two displays in Display Properties -> Settings. With that missing, you obviously have no other display to "extend" to.

Tell us more about your video card and monitors. What type ports does the card have? What type (VGA or DVI) connectors do your monitors require? Exactly how do you have it set up now, or how did you attempt to set it up?
DanB   2007-12-03 06:49
It's the XFX PVT73AUDE3 GeForce 7600GT AGP card.

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurationDetails.jspa?series=GeForce%26trade%3B+7600&productConfigurationId=650008

It only has two DVI jacks on the card.

I have one Compaq v1000 monitor (CRT) and one ViewSonic VP201b (LCD). CRT is primary and LCD is secondary. The old CRT was before DVI was out. The LCD has DVI and VGA.

I had an ATI Radeon 9800 XT card (1 DVI + 1 VGA port) in here before I replaced it with the 7600 in August (so I could play BioShock). The ATI showed two separate display devices (in Device Manager and Display Settings) but the 7600 only shows one device.

The nvidia multi monitor setup only gives:
1) Single monitor
2) Clone
3) Span (horizontal)
4) Span (vertical)
Sniperchang   2007-12-13 07:51
There should be one more in the NVIDIA panel "Configured independently from each other", in that settings, windows will see both monitors as normal. If that's not there, is your nvidia software up-to-date? Or mabe it requires a reinstall, it should be there.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> nvidia 7600GT& extended desktop