Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors
David   2007-12-31 12:01
This is very basic question. I have two monitors, one is a DVI connection, the other is a VGA connection. My computer has a DVI connection. Can I use a cable splitter to connect it all? My computer is fairly new with Vista Premium. My wish is to have one display extended with two different pictures.

Would it just be easier to buy a new video card that has both a VGA and DVI connection.
I looked up my video card. It is NVidia GEForce 8500 GT which appears to sell for $85. I also have an ATi HDTV adaptor.

Thank you

David
ecarlson   2008-01-01 16:05
No, you cannot take one DVI output and make it into 2 separate outputs (at least not that I've heard of).

If you are going to buy a new video card, consider getting one with 2 DVI outputs, if it fits in your budget, so you can someday hook up 2 digital LCD monitors. You'll still be able to hook up a VGA monitor using a DVI-VGA adapter on one (or both) of the DVI ports.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Robert   2008-01-03 05:39
I have two monitors hooked up to one DVI card with a splitter. I was not sure if it would work with my new computer, but when I hooked it up with the splitter, everything worked fine.
ecarlson   2008-01-03 13:57
And you got each monitor to display a different image?

Robert   2008-01-04 11:34
Yes I did. Works just like my previous computer with a dual port card. I was very skeptical when it came with one dvi port since I ordered a dual dvi card, but when I plugged in it worked and is still working just fine.
ecarlson   2008-01-05 04:42
Which card? Some cards have what appears to be a DVI connector, but it is not a DVI connector, and you have to use a special dual DVI or dual VGA splitter with it. My work computer has one of those (NVidia) cards.

This is not the same card I have at work, but the NVdia Quadro4 NVS285 is one such card.

ecarlson   2008-01-05 04:47
More info: The connector I mentioned is apparently called a DMS-59 connector and here is the Wikipedia entry for the DMS-59.

David   2008-01-08 04:58
Hi all:

I was able to resolve my problem by purchasing a USB to VGA adapter from multi-monitors.com. It is very slick. For someone like me with limited computer expertise, it was perfect.

Now that I have two monitors working, I am already planning for the third and forth ones. I'll put that in a new thread when I determine my first question.

The help I received here cannot be underestimated. Thank you and keep this site going.

David
ecarlson   2008-01-09 12:23
Thanks for the update. How is the speed of the USB video adapter?

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors