Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Game(s) issue
Blake   2008-01-04 03:49
Im not sure how familiar anyone is here with running games with ultramon. But anyways, i recently noticed when running specifically Counter-Strike 1.6

Its an old game, and my computer can more then handle it. It only started happened once i got my dual monitor display working with Ultramon. Basically as im playing every.. iunno few minutes my whole computer kinda freeze's for a second or 2, then it resumes normally.

Now i try to play counter-strike Source (a much more intensive game mind you), and my processor usage is hanging around 50-65% and i dont get the odd freezing.

I've asked a few people who use ultramon and game aswell, none of them have that issue and were all running the same build.

Anyways, was wondering if there was a specific option i may have enabled that could cause this or what.

Now there is a second issue, not as big, but pretty much when i open up a folder, and it has several files in there, if i click one and go down 1 by 1 (example browsing music), i notice my explorer.exe spikes from like.. 5% cpu to like 60 or 70% even, causing my secondary monitor to literally flicker. Havent been able to figure out why, hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me.

My specs of my computer are as follows

AMD Athlon X2 4600+
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
2gb OCZ Platinum Rev.2 RAM DDR2-800
Thermaltake 550watt PSU
eVGA nvidia geforce 7900 GS KO PCI-E of course

And umm.. well my monitor's are:

Dell 19" (not sure model) and
an LG 21.6" L222WT Monitor

Hope someone can help, thanks

Blake
Blake   2008-01-12 10:01
anything at all? Any more info needed? Its been a while and not 1 reply....

Blake
7h0m   2008-01-13 06:25
are you running xp or vista? did you try to update/downgrade drivers? have you tried playing cs 1.6 in windowed mode?

btw i don't think your problem is ultramon specific.
CauseMan!!!   2008-01-16 20:44
For Gaming and Non-Gaming set up 2 Display Profiles in UltraMon. I called 1 Full System and the 2nd Gaming and placed shortcuts to them on my taskbar and a shortcut to the Full System in the startup folder. The Gaming Profile is set to a single Monitor and the Full is set to all of your monitors im running 4 in total. Before starting your game hit the shortcut for gaming it will shut off your other monitors and free up the resorcess for the game.

CauseMan!!!
Blake   2008-01-21 11:54
im running windows XP, but the CPU usage is only specific to cs 1.6. I havent tried playing in windowed mode, but its only started since i installed ultramon. I can try updating drivers and such though.

But 1 question.. if you look at the specifications for.. say.. counter-strike source, or ANY HL2 modification, compared to cs 1.6. Or even, if you look at FEAR, or C&C 3, why would it not effect those games, but it does in cs 1.6?

Clearly the others are more intensive, and as i said it started the same time i installed ultramon
Boris   2008-01-22 23:48
Are you using wireless, if so, try using a wire and see if that makes a difference. I remember my mate having a problem with using wireless, as he had to turn something off that searched for new wireless objects every 30 seconds or something which caused it to jerk.
Blake   2008-01-24 02:10
no wireless, im wired @ 100mbps.. Its a desktop computer

Blake
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Game(s) issue